radiator cooler line to transmission | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

radiator cooler line to transmission

I think that I was correct. Old double flair style versus the new style. Get up under the truck and where one line turns to go towards the radiator and cut it leaving yourself enough of the line going towards the transmission to carefully by hand straighten it towards the bumper. There is another line coming of of the trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator that turns to go to the built in cooler. Cut it. Now take an appropriate size piece of hose, 3/8" sturdy hydraulic hose and two clamps to entirely bypass the radiator cooler. I used a phillips head screwdriver and stuck in the end of each line and rotated it around to flair the ends a bit to help keep the hose from wanting to slide off. Now your built in cooler is bypassed.
I live where it gets up to about 105 F heat index and I don't tow often so the factory cooler seems to be plenty. If you live in a desert you may need a bigger cooler. You can buy a bigger cooler and it is a bit overkill, but I have seen people turn there AC condenser into a trans cooler. Bypassing the radiator "built in" cooler worked for me !
What are your actual fluid temps? I wouldn’t bypass it without adding additional cooling.

The Dorman line is probably just wrong. They are a garbage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, this is a 2001 Sport Trac (which is technically a Gen III). Unless someone had gotten creative in it's past there should be no "old-style vs newer-style". My 2001 Sport Trac (which I am intimately familiar with) has had several radiators in it since I acquired it 6 years ago. The current rad, which I bought NIB off a craigslist ad, was originally purchased for a 1998 Ranger I've never had any issues with the trans lines not fitting, leaking or not matching the radiators. The Dorman part being wrong/made incorrectly is highly likely. At any rate... OP - do what you gotta do to get this minor repair done.

Well, this is a 2001 Sport Trac (which is technically a Gen III). Unless someone had gotten creative in it's past there should be no "old-style vs newer-style". My 2001 Sport Trac (which I am intimately familiar with) has had several radiators in it since I acquired it 6 years ago. The current rad, which I bought NIB off a craigslist ad, was originally purchased for a 1998 Ranger I've never had any issues with the trans lines not fitting, leaking or not matching the radiators. The Dorman part being wrong/made incorrectly is highly likely. At any rate... OP - do what you gotta do to get this minor repair done.
Thanks everyone. I now know what to do thanks to your advice.

my last question. The line that goes from the transmission directly to the radiator is that the upper or lower? My dad is saying its lower but the diagram doesn't show that. The other line is going to the oil cooler and then goes to the radiator. I didn’t take it out so I don’t know.

fluid leaves the transmission and goes to the TOP fitting on the radiator
Then the fluid leaves the radiator at the lower fitting and heads into the aux cooler behind the grill.
The fluid then leaves the aux cooler and heads back to the transmission

Next time this happens cut the hard line, add a simple flare and use 3/8" trans cooler line with double stainless made in the USA hose clamps.....

Thanks everyone. I now know what to do thanks to your advice.

my last question. The line that goes from the transmission directly to the radiator is that the upper or lower? My dad is saying its lower but the diagram doesn't show that. The other line is going to the oil cooler and then goes to the radiator. I didn’t take it out so I don’t know.

Let me run outside and check...

Upper.

It’s almost universally true that the hot lines go to the top.

I just noticed that he is in the desert southwest U.S. I wouldn't bypass.

thanks everyone. So I rented the tool to do the flare. Question. Is the flare I did (double) correct? it looks slightly different when I compare it to the oem. This is just practicing with the old line as i'll be using the new one instead.

Attachments

• IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 75

I know this sounds silly, but from your pics did you install the line backwards?
I could be completely wrong

never mind
I see now the flare is different

try using a file after the first flare before the second step and it will come out way less "sharp"
You do not want to cut the tubing with your flare you want a nice rounded edge
The factory flare was there to connect to a fitting, you are simply making a flare so the hose and clamps do not pull off the hard line.

Back