Cabin air filter?

Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
Hey guys, I just wanted to check out for sure that the explorers (partially '02) do not have any air filter for the cabin at all. Is this correct? I just have the 2x4 xls '02. I have never seen anything online or in the manual hinting to a location of a cabin filter.

If our explorers do not have one, do you think it would be easy to mod the cabin air ducting to include an air filter?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You own a Ford, not a BMW. Unfortunately no filter.

No cabin filter. Seems kind of stupid why they wouldn't though...The Windstars had one back in the late '90s.

I added one on my '97 Grand Prix. They don't come with one from the factory, but the Olds Intrigue did. The HVAC box is identical between the two cars, so it was a simple drop-in mod. I liked it...It kept the dust down quite a bit, so my interior stayed cleaner longer.

Edit: This brings up a question...I wonder if the Lincoln Aviator had one? If so, it could be added to the Explorer the same way, provided the HVAC boxes were the same, which I'd assume they were.

Edit2: Called my Lincoln/Mercury dealer, and no cabin filter was offered in the Aviator. Oh well...Can't say I didn't try.

Thanks, I think this is hilarious on ford's part. Ford cannot even include an air filter even on their Lincoln truck, but yet gm puts air filters in most of their cars and all their suburbans and tahos.

I want to take a look and some day add an air filter to my explorer.

If anything i would think that as opposed to a luxery car, a 4x4 explorer would qualify more for ford to put an air filter in from the factory as the trucks are designed to be driven on dirt roads. hmmm

for what it's worth, the 03 Focus has the avaliablity of a cabin air filter. Even though most of them didn't come with one, it's a easy drop in upgrade. And that's on a 13K dollar car...

I'm still not giving up on figuring out one for the Gen III Explorers. I've solved much more complicated mod problems on other vehicles...It'll just take a little time and research.

I'm still not giving up on figuring out one for the Gen III Explorers. I've solved much more complicated mod problems on other vehicles...It'll just take a little time and research.

When you do figure something out, let us know!

I have never looked at the HVAC, or air box, whatever it is called. I don't know much about the cabin air system, can't be too complicated

So can I assume by reading this that my 03 sport trac XLT does not have one either???

My previous car was a 06 Freestlye...no filter, the 500, same car essentially, had a filter!

It can't be that much more for them to just include it, what cheap *******s. lol

yeah I think it wasnt smart for ford to leave out the cabin filter opption. heck my 04 x can tell me if my tires are low but it cant clean the air i breath. just got rid of a 99 pontiac montana (intake gasket leaking P.O.S.) and it had cabin filters?!?!?!?!

Back