Caliper Covers for Sport

BAD430BENZ

Reaction score
City, State
EL PASO , TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
MGP caliper covers....not impressed

so I bought a set of MGP covers for the Sport . I finally got time to install this weekend . I put them it against the front caliper and it looked pretty good . I slide the clips onto the caliper and notice that they are not tightly secure to the caliper . the bottom part actually rests on the brake rotor.....well that's not going to work . seeing as how I hate having to wait for new items if I start a project , I decide to make them fit myself . I grab a couple of washers to fill the gap so the bottom of the clip is not touching the rotor . it works....so I take the caliper cover off and start painting the caliper red so you can't see the huge contrast between the OEM caliper and caliper covers . I reinstall the wheel with my new black lug nuts and it looks pretty good so I decide to do the driver rear next .

I get the wheel off and then slide the clips onto the caliper . so far so good because these clips are snug to the caliper so no need to install washers to keep from hitting the rotor . I put the caliper cover up to the clips and it's not even close . the holes in the covers , where the clips go through , are about an inch too far apart . like I said before , I hate having to wait for new parts so I decide to dremel the holes out on the cover and possibly make it fit myself . no such luck this time . the brackets on the cover are just too far apart to make it fit and still have the clips be very snug to the caliper itself . this has just gone from bad to worse because I have now painted the front caliper red to make the front look good .

i go back and remove the front caliper cover and spend the next couple of hours removing all the red paint . i want to thank MGP for reminding me not to take the cheap way out . now begins the task of trying to get my money back for this nightmare of a product .

i didn't take pics of the front because i made them work but these are the pics of the rear that were way off . i did check the part #s and everything is correct .

Attachments

• brake covers.jpg
    brake covers.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,032
  • brake covers 2.jpg
    brake covers 2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,430
  • brake covers 3.jpg
    brake covers 3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,380

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW.....just spoke to Mike at MGP about the issue i'm having . he told me that the only part # on their website is 10215-S-FRD-RD for the new explorer . he then told me that the part # given is for the Limited and XLT only . the Sport has a different part # 10229-S-FRD-RD . he told me that he would ship out the correct ones immediately and to keep the old ones because they would be scrapped when returned anyway . my company is building a new facility and i will have a brand new office , where i have already received all my Pitstop office furniture , so i can use these caliper covers as some sort of decoration in the office....or make something out of them .

looks like i'm going to tackle this project again :crazy:

Should have painted/powdercoated them! :rolleyes:

They did the same thing with me. When I ordered mine I told them it was a sport and the guy said it made no difference. Surprise!!! Called back and talked with a manager and a new set was sent out overnight. BTW I have had numerous compliments on them and I personally think they look good installed. I was just looking for something to set ours apart from the crowd that was subtle. Personally not a big fan or painting or powder coating the calipers and with the covers if you get tired of them you can take them off, kinda hard to scrape off powder coating when you get tired of them or don't like it.

They did the same thing with me. When I ordered mine I told them it was a sport and the guy said it made no difference. Surprise!!! Called back and talked with a manager and a new set was sent out overnight. BTW I have had numerous compliments on them and I personally think they look good installed. I was just looking for something to set ours apart from the crowd that was subtle. Personally not a big fan or painting or powder coating the calipers and with the covers if you get tired of them you can take them off, kinda hard to scrape off powder coating when you get tired of them or don't like it.
are you on OEM wheels ?

Yeah stock rims. This is the wifes vehicle so I cant get by with much. Love the look of the wheels BTW.
Here's my DD
DSC01802.jpg

Yeah stock rims. This is the wifes vehicle so I cant get by with much. Love the look of the wheels BTW.
Here's my DD
DSC01802.jpg
nice choice in vehicles . the reason I ask is because the MGP covers behind OEM wheels probably hides the rest of the caliper . the tops of my calipers are very visible behind my 22s , which is why I have to paint them red....again .

I saw that JETZ said I should have painted or powdercoated them and just realized he meant the caliper , which is what I did when I installed the front cover .

I guess he didn't read before commenting....with his rolling eyes :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The stock calipers in the first place, instead of those cheesy 'I wish I had Big Brakes' covers.

...but it's your car, and if you like that kind of stuff! :D

For me, would not put them on for FREE! And I would be laughed out of town, and told to get a 'wheelskin' to go with that 'phony look.

Frank

should have painted/powdercoated what ?
D

The stock calipers in the first place, instead of those cheesy 'I wish I had Big Brakes' covers.

...but it's your car, and if you like that kind of stuff! :D

For me, would not put them on for FREE! And I would be laughed out of town, and told to get a 'wheelskin' to go with that 'phony look.

Frank

D
in case you didn't go back and read my post again , I did paint the OEM caliper a matching red color to go with the cover , so you don't get the contrast of the color . once I painted the OEM caliper , the covers looked a hell of a lot better . I would not use them by just sticking them on without painting the caliper first . I guess everyone has different tastes but why throw out all that negativity ? let me guess , you have all the most tasteful mods on your vehicles and all you get is compliments :D

Well said!:salute: But thats just how some people like to get attention. I have a set on my EX and love them. Hope you get the correct ones soon.:thumbsup:

Well said!:salute: But thats just how some people like to get attention. I have a set on my EX and love them. Hope you get the correct ones soon.:thumbsup:
I just get a kick out of people on the internet . they are always the toughest and always correct , no matter what happens . if only some people would just be a little more positive :D

the new ones should be shipping out by tomorrow at the latest . I also changed it up a little and went with black logos .

if anyone is interested , I created another thread to sell the first set that didn't fit my Sport :thumbsup:

I just get a kick out of people on the internet . they are always the toughest and always correct , no matter what happens . if only some people would just be a little more positive :D

the new ones should be shipping out by tomorrow at the latest . I also changed it up a little and went with black logos .

if anyone is interested , I created another thread to sell the first set that didn't fit my Sport :thumbsup:

White is a much better color for the sport, I can't believe you bought Black. How lame. And caliper covers, welcome to 1992 Honda's. And I am also pretty sure my tires are also better than yours also!

/sarcasm

:D

White is a much better color for the sport, I can't believe you bought Black. How lame. And caliper covers, welcome to 1992 Honda's. And I am also pretty sure my tires are also better than yours also!

/sarcasm

:D
:rant::thumbsup:

Yes! :D
If YOU like them that's great, but to me, they're pure cheese. I don't do the fake look.
If you painted your calipers, great you don't need CC's! The big covers, with the little discs is the big 'give away'.

CC's are like guys going to a club, and sticking a banana in their pants, pretending they're packing more than they really are to impress the heffers. When it's time to drop the laundry... they come up 'short'!
dancenanaemo.gif

It's your car...:salute:

Benefits Include: ...from their WS

Reduces Brake Dust
Powder Coated Finish
6061-T6 Aerospace Aluminum
'Big Brake Look' ... The Great Pretender
Easy Installation
No Tape, Glue, Paint or Special Tools Required
Patented Fastening System

in case you didn't go back and read my post again , I did paint the OEM caliper a matching red color to go with the cover , so you don't get the contrast of the color . once I painted the OEM caliper , the covers looked a hell of a lot better . I would not use them by just sticking them on without painting the caliper first . I guess everyone has different tastes but why throw out all that negativity ? let me guess , you have all the most tasteful mods on your vehicles and all you get is compliments :D

Yes! :D
If YOU like them that's great, but to me, they're pure cheese. I don't do the fake look.If you painted your calipers, great you don't need CC's! The big covers, with the little discs is the big 'give away'.

CC's are like guys going to a club, and sticking a banana in their pants, pretending they're packing more than they really are to impress the heffers. When it's time to drop the laundry... they come up 'short'!
dancenanaemo.gif

It's your car...:salute:

Benefits Include: ...from their WS

Reduces Brake Dust
Powder Coated Finish
6061-T6 Aerospace Aluminum
'Big Brake Look' ... The Great Pretender
Easy Installation
No Tape, Glue, Paint or Special Tools Required
Patented Fastening System
WOW.....not real sure why you compare caliper covers to stuffing your pants....but ok .

I guess stuffing your pants would also be like adding a larger tip for the "performance exhaust" look without having a performance exhaust . I mean I wouldn't do that but hey....it's someone's car :salute:

do you happen to have any pics of your ride anywhere on here ? I would love to see what I should have done instead of what I have done ;)

someone with as much criticism as you must have the best vehicle on here :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so where's the best place to buy the right ones for the sport? one site had a great price around the holidays but only listed one # for the explorer which I figured wouldn't fit the sport.

Back