• Register Today It's free!

Calipers or Brake Pads

slaughterrt

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
I haven't done much investigative work yet on the explorer, but I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this. A few days ago I noticed some squeaking and squealing from the area around my front driver side wheel. It was mostly noticeable when I would apply the brakes. However, it gradually became noisy even when I was not applying the brake. So, now I am getting squealing all of the time from that wheel area. Do you guys think that might just be the brake pads, or am I looking at something a little more pricey ... aka the calipers. I just wanted to get some ideas before I start tearing the truck apart. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks guys.

Calipers shouldnt contact anything so they shouldnt squeek. Its more than likely worn out pads/rotors or dustshield. Possibly a CV boot squeeking as well.

Ahh...thanks jlsparky7. I am hoping it is a brakepad over the roter. Dustshield wouldn't be too bad...neither would lubing up the cv boot. I got a nice long weekend coming up so I will be sure to get to work. Thanks again.

Back