cam chain tensioner rattle specifics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cam chain tensioner rattle specifics

SnakeCharmer

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT 4x4, '01 ST 4x2
So I read through the head gasket and tensioner rattle thread and didnt see anything about 01 models being affected but I have decided that my 01 Sport Trac definatel has the tensioner issue. It has done it for quite a while and had it pegged as spark knock. I even asked the dealer about it when I had it in for warranty repair of the PS pump and was told it was normal. They didnt mention anything about the tensioner issue. Of course now its past the cutoff for the recall since it just rolled over 80k.

So my question is what does it actuallt take to do the repair? I am the kind of person that doesnt trust anybody to work on my vehicles. Even though I like to think I am quite skilled mechanically, I am kind of an old school pushrod motor guy and really know nothing about the OHC motors. Does anybody have any pictures of the tensioner so that I can get an idea of how far I would have to tear into it? And what can happen if it is let go? Is it just an annoying rattle or something in there beating itself to death and I should really be concerned?

Back