Can I Add My Camera to a Non-camera Tailgate Trim Piece ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I Add My Camera to a Non-camera Tailgate Trim Piece ?

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I have a chrome tailgate trim piece, the one that goes above the license plate and says "Explorer" with my camera mounted in it. I want it in black. I painted it but I know that eventually the paint will flake / chip off the chrome beneath (yes, roughed up and primered).

I can get the ones off PIUs without the camera (my city is too cheap to equip the police Tauruses and PIUs with cameras) in black but I don't know if the camera will come off my chrome version and easily go on to the black PIU version. The part number on the cop version is: DB5Z-13B482-CB.

The black ones with the camera included are in the $500.00 ish range whereas I can get the cop ones for the price of a lunch. Any info appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that several members have used that plasti dip for that chrome piece. Not sure if it is more durable than paint in regards to chipping etc. The camera must be detachable from the chrome strip as many members have had it replaced. I don't know how it attaches to the strip so I think the real question is can it be attached to a strip that did not have a camera in the first place?
FYI, I just ran that part number you provided and the strip appears to have a plug which I'm guessing is for a camera.
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oe-ford/db5z13b482cb

Peter

I would just get it vinyl wrapped. It's going to be a lot cheaper and easier.

Alternatively, look for a wrecked PIU with the camera, if you can find one. I'm sure they're out there.

I think that several members have used that plasti dip for that chrome piece. Not sure if it is more durable than paint in regards to chipping etc. The camera must be detachable from the chrome strip as many members have had it replaced. I don't know how it attaches to the strip so I think the real question is can it be attached to a strip that did not have a camera in the first place?
FYI, I just ran that part number you provided and the strip appears to have a plug which I'm guessing is for a camera.
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oe-ford/db5z13b482cb

Peter

Can't tell if the connector/plug on the piece I can get is for the license plate lights and / or the camera. You're right, trying to determine if a the strips are "universal" in that they can be used for non-camera AND camera equipped vehicles. Hoping to hear from someone who may have added an existing camera to that trim piece that did not originally have a camera.

Back