How To: Install F150 Ford Emblem Backup Camera in Sport Trac | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Install F150 Ford Emblem Backup Camera in Sport Trac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great post! I would like to install the back up camera on my new 10 ST, I only have the single cd sat. radio. My question is this, if I can find and order the rear view mirror with the built in video screen, will your set that you just explained and installed work? I have the auto dimming feature and sync, wonder if the f150 rear view mirrors with the built in video are compatable w/my sync set up?

can you post a link to the ebay search you did for the dbl din radio in the above picture?

Great post! I would like to install the back up camera on my new 10 ST, I only have the single cd sat. radio. My question is this, if I can find and order the rear view mirror with the built in video screen, will your set that you just explained and installed work? I have the auto dimming feature and sync, wonder if the f150 rear view mirrors with the built in video are compatable w/my sync set up?

can you post a link to the ebay search you did for the dbl din radio in the above picture?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...cdQQitemZ150535949005QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo
Here's the eBay link. You could use an oem mirror with the built in monitor but it will take some custom wiring and research. Probably not too hard if u are good with stuff like that.

Supposed to get mine tomorrow but was delayed because of the digital tv option I asked for. I should get it Friday. There's two different units (one with the digital tv and without it) according to Rony and Eric's emails.

I got a few Emails about the setup I have and hope these pictures answer the questions. This is a stock gps unit that came with my Adrenalin from ford and the "lockpick" is from coastal - plug and play - only took 30 min to instal. The licenseplate camera is from coastal also - both work well and you can watch DVD movies while you are driving and it also has other options.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/mrlarrys/100_0567.jpg

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/mrlarrys/100_0566.jpg

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/mrlarrys/100_0565.jpg

Pretty cool that it gives a range finder in the image.

84convertablegt ,

Got mine today and wow what a big mess of wires and plugs. I'm gonna wait until I get the camera before installing the unit. One question, there's a small black plug that came with the deck that has ten different colored wires. One says brake, AD3, Amp-Cont, TV-Cont, etc. Did you have to use this or is it optional? Thanks

84convertablegt ,

Got mine today and wow what a big mess of wires and plugs. I'm gonna wait until I get the camera before installing the unit. One question, there's a small black plug that came with the deck that has ten different colored wires. One says brake, AD3, Amp-Cont, TV-Cont, etc. Did you have to use this or is it optional? Thanks
It is optional. I.E. you dont have to hook up the ground and all of that, but some do have to be hooked up. You have to ground the brake one to use navigation while driving. Just permanently ground it. Also, the backup one is the one you have to hook up to the backup lights to trigger the screen to change to the backup camera when you put it in reverse. I used the AMP-CONT wire to turn on the factory subwoofer.

I have this same unit for my F-150. These people are really great at customer service. I also have the rear plate camera and it works great. I ordered mine with the TV tuner as well, but had to return it because I got the one for europe. So I should get mine back next week. I've decided against the TV tuner anyway, My friend has this same unit and TV tuner works, however- signal sucks when your on the move.
I ended up installing a on-off-on switch for my rear camera so I can manually turn it on while driving forward. I also installed an AUDIOVOX CMOS 2 front camera. Got this on ebay as well (it has the option to display in normal mode, so the image is not reversed on the display like a rear camera is).

I used a Y-splitter to send the signal from my backup camera to both the rear and front inputs for the camera. My camera is powered up whenever the stereo is on (hooked it up to the amp connector). It only displays the backup camera when I put it in reverse because I ran a wire from the backup lights to the trigger wire on the stereo. Since I used the splitter I can also just press the "FRONT" button anytime and see the backup camera. I personally cant see a use for a front camera????

I used a Y-splitter to send the signal from my backup camera to both the rear and front inputs for the camera. My camera is powered up whenever the stereo is on (hooked it up to the amp connector). It only displays the backup camera when I put it in reverse because I ran a wire from the backup lights to the trigger wire on the stereo. Since I used the splitter I can also just press the "FRONT" button anytime and see the backup camera. I personally cant see a use for a front camera????

I actuall like the front camera while parallel parking. I select front camera, and when I go to reverse, it will swap automatically, then back to front when out of reverse. It makes me also feel much better when my wife is driving... I didn't really think I had a need either until I saw it installed on another thruck. I don't mind flipping a switch to turn on the rear camera while driving, It's really not needed that often. But I do think the way you set yours up was really cool, I think I would have went that way if I only used one camera. Really good idea..

84convertablegt, if needed here is the location of the reverse wire

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...mountaineer-coastal-lockpick.html#post9945029

2007 mercury mountaineer with coastal lockpick

picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59824.jpg

watching movie from ipod
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59825.jpg

view of the back up camera
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59826.jpg

night vision camera,
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59827.jpg

inside the tailgate this is the grommet for license plate lights,
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59830.jpg

this is a picture of where all the clips are located on the rear gate trim panel
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59831.jpg

i fished the headliner to the front a pilar
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59828.jpg

inside truck there is a conduit for the wiring.
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=59829.jpg

going into the tail gate, tight fit grease wires before pulling!
picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=60197.jpg

reverse wire at driver side kick panel

nexted thing will be headrest lcd dvd monitors, does anybody have suggestions on what brand or size to get?

After all this work I might sell radio and lockpick, after installation of lock pick the factory navigation screen is a bit blurry; I called costal tech and they said that it is normal because thier interface goes thru the radio causing a reduction of picture quality. I will buy that radio from trustigo that is a really cool radio!

I wonder if they can make the ford symbol on the radio a mercury symbol? Is the radio a disc changer like the factory radio? and does the sub have the same quialty sound after the resistor installation?

Viper, thanks for posting the colored wire for the reverse backup lights. It'll save me some time looking. Now I'm just waiting for my camera to come in.

I did it the hard way and ran a wire all the way from the reverse lights in the back to the head unit, but I guess it wasnt really too bad since I had to run wire for video and power back there to the backup camera anyway. Jupiterak, what backup camera did you end up going with?

I did it the hard way and ran a wire all the way from the reverse lights in the back to the head unit, but I guess it wasnt really too bad since I had to run wire for video and power back there to the backup camera anyway. Jupiterak, what backup camera did you end up going with?

I went with one of these. I plan on mounting on underneath the chrome Ford logo piece next to the license plate lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130398586922

Jupiterak, You gonna sell your factory navigation unit? I may be interested for my wifes Explorer.

Yes, I will. But I have a lincoln nav unit in my ex. Everything is the same except for the Ford logo.

If you want send me a private message with your email address. Thanks.

I have a couple of Questions with your set up.
- Are you still available to get sirius sat. radio?
- Can you still use the sync system?

I have the 08 Adrenalin and would love to do the same thing. Looks great thanks for posting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

84convertablegt, if needed here is the location of the reverse wire

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...mountaineer-coastal-lockpick.html#post9945029

2007 mercury mountaineer with coastal lockpick

picture.jpg

watching movie from ipod
picture.jpg

view of the back up camera
picture.jpg

night vision camera,
picture.jpg

inside the tailgate this is the grommet for license plate lights,
picture.jpg

this is a picture of where all the clips are located on the rear gate trim panel
picture.jpg

i fished the headliner to the front a pilar
picture.jpg

inside truck there is a conduit for the wiring.
picture.jpg

going into the tail gate, tight fit grease wires before pulling!
picture.jpg

reverse wire at driver side kick panel

nexted thing will be headrest lcd dvd monitors, does anybody have suggestions on what brand or size to get?

After all this work I might sell radio and lockpick, after installation of lock pick the factory navigation screen is a bit blurry; I called costal tech and they said that it is normal because thier interface goes thru the radio causing a reduction of picture quality. I will buy that radio from trustigo that is a really cool radio!

I wonder if they can make the ford symbol on the radio a mercury symbol? Is the radio a disc changer like the factory radio? and does the sub have the same quialty sound after the resistor installation?

I'm sorry I didnt see your questions earlier. I dont know if they could add a mercury logo or not. Im sure they can. I would email the seller and see. The radio has a single disc CD player / DVD player. It's not a 6 disc. After further review, it does have a few small quirks. The sub takes some custom wiring. You have to add the resistor and add a crossover. Im still fine tuning the sub. The RDS feature on this thing is sporadic and sometimes displays wrong info. I emailed the seller and they claim they may work on a firmware update to address it, but I doubt it. It's not too bad, its just not as reliable as a factory navigation radio. Also, the navigation doesnt remember setting after turning off the vehicle. This is kind of annoying but not too bad either. Overall I am still happy and with a firmware update it would be perfect. I give it 8 stars out of 10. Factory navigation with a lockpick may still be a good route. I am curious about the blurry thing you talk about with the lock pick? Does it look bad or just slightly worse. Im considering adding a OEM unit to my wifes explorer with a lockpick and would like to know about this. Thanks.

Back