• Register Today It's free!

Can I Please Get A Picture

Explorer1996

Reaction score
City, State
TOLED OHIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt explorer
I need a picture of the location of a camshaft position sensor in a 1996 v6 4.0 efi engine......... THANK YOU

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

or a location? something, i have been asking help for days, im shure someone here can point me in a direction...

Status

Did you find this??

U need to take a picture !! post it and i'll do the same but u need to write down the part number of the part your taking picture of .

Camshaft Positioning Sensor[CPS;CMP]

LOOK ON TOP(rear of Manifold), DEAD CENTER toward the RIGHT, there should be a 3 prong connection. I recently ordered the same part but it didnt match the part that should be camshaft position sensor replaced due to its genaral mileage maintenance replacement check engine light procedure . I guess Ford needs to keep Ford mechanics in business, too . u wont find a pic unless u buy a book and fix that little rustspot by the rear :hammer: doors . eheh

CPS problem solved

I was able to find this by using a mirror up against the firewall. I changed it out and saved around $350. Here are a couple things I learned...
1) Remove the transmission mount nuts and jack up the tailshaft a few inches for extra clearance. 2) Remove the the plactic air intake to gain better access. 3) They say you need a special Ford tool when removing the shaft but I marked the location of the shaft and rotating vane along with drawing a picture of their orientation. It started and runs great. 4) The new part had a burr on the gear and would not drop in but I exchanged it for another and it dropped right in. 5) Remember that looking at this in a mirror reverses everything so double check everything.

4.0 SOHC camshaft sensor location ?

I'm resurecting this thread cauz I'm having the same problem locating the camshaft position sensor on my 4.0 SOHC.

In the grid image below, does anyone have any idea on where about this sensor is located on the 4.0 SOHC engine? Ive taken the entire upper intake manifold (including the black piece thats plugged with paper towels in the image) and can't locate a three pronged sensor that looks anything like the sensor I bought from Advanced Auto (second image below).

camshaftpositionsensor.jpg

Sensor from Advanced Auto:
CSS425.jpg

Thanks for any help!

PICT4320.jpg
I think on your engine it is located on the front, but still on the oil pump drive

I don't think so

Check the back by the firewall. It is in the area of K 2 on your grid and I had to use a mirror to see it. I think it sits lower than the black intake piece. The part does look like the one I replaced and I needed to also change the drive gear. This was the same 4.0 that I worked on so re-read my post.

IZwack said:
I'm resurecting this thread cauz I'm having the same problem locating the camshaft position sensor on my 4.0 SOHC.

In the grid image below, does anyone have any idea on where about this sensor is located on the 4.0 SOHC engine? Ive taken the entire upper intake manifold (including the black piece thats plugged with paper towels in the image) and can't locate a three pronged sensor that looks anything like the sensor I bought from Advanced Auto (second image below).

camshaftpositionsensor.jpg

Sensor from Advanced Auto:
CSS425.jpg

Thanks for any help!

That's the wrong part for your vehicle. The Camshaft Position Sensor on a SOHC is located right next to the oil filler cap.

Thanks all for the reply .. the Chilton manual also says 'It is mounted on the valve cover' (page 4-14) but i looked for it and came up empty handed.

RickOTR >> can you please tell me where the oil filter cap is located? I'm assuming its close to the oil filter?

SMASHEK >> there is no drive gear in the sensor i bought from advanced auto.. but then again, maybe i got the wrong part.

The oil filler cap is where you put oil into the engine. It says engine oil with a picture of an oil can on it.

RickOTR said:
The oil filler cap is where you put oil into the engine. It says engine oil with a picture of an oil can on it.

Oh ahahah RIGHT! of course

RickOTR said:

RockOTR >> are you talking about this sensor:

position_01.jpg

Yep, thats it

Interesting - thanks RickOTR!

The Chilton repair manual didnt have a picture the sensor but the Haynes did.

Thanks again!

position_02.jpg

What is the p/n for the 4.0l v6 ohv?

Back