Can I replace a 06 intake with newer model year intake on a 4.6? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I replace a 06 intake with newer model year intake on a 4.6?

jk86racing

Reaction score
City, State
Granby, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Ford Explorer V8 E.B.
Hello ya'll. I have a 2006 Explorer with a 4.6. The intake I currently have is the plastic top with the bottled on aluminum charge motion plates. It currently has a leak that I believe is coming from the charge motion plate seals. My question is, can I replace the intake manifold with one from a newer model year engine? I see the newer ones have the charge motion plates molded into the plastic intake manifold. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

06-10 4.6 3v manifolds will interchange

Are you absolutely positive? Dealer says no.

You need to try a better dealer. I'm a Ford parts manager. All the intakes are replaced by the same part number. 9L3Z-9424-G.

Loooney -
Happy to see a Ford parts manager here :)
Sorry to high jack the thread here, but would a 4.6 from 06-08 Explorers work in 09-10 models ?

Asking since I have an old working spare motor in my garage from my 06 that works, and was looking for a newer v8 model from 09-10 with a bad motor to buy for few bucks and drop in my original engine from my 06. I know they redesigned the heads so the sparkplugs holes are bigger and don't seize the plugs, but other than that do you know of any major differences ?

thanks in advance.

Basically, all the 4.6L 3V engines are similar, with the exception of the spark plug redesign in 2009. And while you have it out, replace the exhaust manifold hardware with stainless steel. And the manifolds if they are corroded at all. They tend to crack because the hardware gives up, and stresses the manifold.

Thanks,
yep stainless steel studs. I have them on the replacement motor as well.
Had to change the warped manifold again and it was a 2 hr job as opposed to 8 hrs the first time with the original steel studs.

Now I need to find a nice 09-10 Limited or Eddie Bauer with blown motor :)

You need to try a better dealer. I'm a Ford parts manager. All the intakes are replaced by the same part number. 9L3Z-9424-G.
Thank you! That's what I figured but wanted verification!

Back