• Register Today It's free!

Canoe Rack

sakirfp

Reaction score
City, State
Forsyth GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT 4.6
I am looking for a canoe rack crossbars that will hook up to my factory rails on my 04 ST XLT. ANy suggestions. I would like to find some good pictures so I can see what they look like on at ST

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not just strap the canoe on your stock rack? That's the way people usually do it. The only things I have seen a special rack for would be kayaks.

I'd go with an aftermarket such as Yakima or Thule. 2x as strong as a factory rack. Unless you're getting a kevlar canoe, the weight will really stress a factory rack over time.

I'm partial to Yakima and think the quality is a touch better. But if you can get a good deal on Thule, its well worth it. Yakima has nice L-shaped Gunwale Brackets that go for about $70 that keep the canoe from sliding from side to side. Also great for ladders as well.

www.yakima.com has a great fit site that will approximate how it would look on your ST.

Using the factory vertical bars, you can, as Jeff said, attach either a Thule or Yakima system. You will need the anchors, which attach to the bars you have, crossbars that do what their name implies, and brackets. Most bracket sets include front and rear tie-downs.

yaks.gif

Heres my set up. Thule 450 feet and cross bars attatched to stock side rack, with the 579xt canoe rack that hugs the gunnels, very secure.

truck.JPG

Todd

Heres my set up. Thule 450 feet and cross bars attatched to stock side rack, with the 579xt canoe rack that hugs the gunnels, very secure.

truck.JPG

Todd

This is the kind of set up I want to have...RIght now I have jsut some foam pads for the gunnels...

Thanks

Back