Can't Fill Up Gas Tank......... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't Fill Up Gas Tank.........

jyancole

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
I'm new to this forum and need some help. If my post needs to be moved sorry for the inconvenience.
My problem is this. I have a 2002 Explorer V8. I went to get some gas today and it will only fill .160 gallons at a time before automatically shutting off. Has anyone else had this problem? I have a time before on a different vehicle but I can't remember what was wrong other than it cost a lot of money and it was something about some type of sponge located in the fuel tank that went bad somehow. Basically my truck won't accept gas. Please help. I have enough to make it through the weekend but then I need to take it to the shop and I'd prefer to sound like i know what I'm talking about so I don't get screwed over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does this happen with all pumps? Have you tried to just pull the nozzle out about an inch from all the way in. That usually fixes it for me.

Yeah, my Mom's minivan is the same, if you put the nozzle all the way in it'll keep clicking off. But when we pull it out just a little bit, it's fine.

I have that problem on my '07 Ranger, only with 76 station pumps. The only way to fill it is to pull back a bit, hold it by hand, and use the slowest speed possible which takes 20 minutes to fill up. After trying several different stations I decided to use other brands, it's not worth the trouble even if I save a few cents/gallon.

thanks for all the help and that link to the other post. i have tried multiple gas stations all with the same result and now the car has a studdering problem so i'm going to take it to my mechanic and let him tell me what's wrong. i know he will be honest with me. the hose does not appear to be kinked either and i tried pulling the nozzle out a little. i can't figure out what the problem is. the gas isn't coming back up like there is air trapped or anything it's just that the pumps cut off after .16 gallons at a time. really weird.........i'll repost what results i get.

I have the same problem, does not matter what station I try. It is really annoying in the winter when it is -5.

welcome jyan

well i finally coughed up the cash and had my dealer fix it. all they did was replaced the fuel neck and gas tank. they didn't need to replace the gas tank but i suppose they needed the extra money. filler neck replacement fixed the problem.

Just as a note. Where I used to work, we had a 04 Explorer that had the same issue. We were told it was a vent line of some sort. Since we worked in the desert, and the EX spent a lot of time in deep powdery silt and soft sand, it seemed logical. We took it in three times and same answer, but it was fixed for a while each time. Truck was a V6 with a 4x2 and 4x4 in it, and we ran BFG Muds on it. We had another 04 EX in a different shop that spent most of its time on unimproved dirt/rock roads. The tailgate fell off it after two years of abuse...

very coldy weather when filling your tank and motor running should be the problem, i took a cup a rubbuing alcool in the vent area and all went good after... just like a cold for a truck..lol

There is a rollover check (a plastic ball about the size of a ping pong ball) in the bottom of the fill tube to prevent gasoline from coming out of the tank when the vehicle is upside down. Most every vehicle has one. When this sticks closed, you will have this problem. Get a piece of 3/8" hard plastic tubing about 4' long and push it down the fill tube till it stops.

This guy had the same problem with an '05 Ex. he actually had a part go bad.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214304

The part that can go bad is the evap canister purge valve. He probably could have cleaned it instead of replacing. They get filled up with silt. This is why vehicles in the desert like the post about have this happen often. Here is a link about cleaning:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308628

Also, There is a metal screen in the filler neck tube below the rubber section and in the lower metal section before it turns down over the rear axle. There is a clamp that can be removed there and then cleaned with shop air. This is why my explorer would shut the gas pump off while attempting to fill.

Just found this on diagnosis on vapor canister purge valve vs. vent solenoid in regards to slow fuel fill issues:

Here is the test procedure you will need to do in order to isolate the problem.

Most of the times there is a screen in the lower part of the neck that needs to be cleaned.

Disconnect evaporative canister located in rear of vehicle above spare tire.

If you can now fill fuel tank, fault will be in canister vent valve or plugged canister.

If fault is still present, disconnect all evaporative lines from fuel tank one at a time, if you can fill tank with any of them disconnected, fault will be in that line.

If the tank still cannot be filled, fault will be in the tank or filler neck.

well i finally coughed up the cash and had my dealer fix it. all they did was replaced the fuel neck and gas tank. they didn't need to replace the gas tank but i suppose they needed the extra money. filler neck replacement fixed the problem.

We've done that twice problem is back again!!!!

Got the same prob with my 06 Explorer Limited. Put ear to tank input and heard sound like electric motor running and gurgling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back