Front ABS sensor removal tips needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front ABS sensor removal tips needed

Dennis94XLT

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
I'm changing my antilock brake sensors (both front and the rear). The front is held in by a bolt which I have removed - but the sensor assembly seems to be rusted or glued into the hole it fits in. I got the truck new and these are the original sensors. Has anyone replaced these? Is there a way to replace them without pulling the rotors and pounding them out from the rotor side?
1994 Explorer 2wheel drive.
Thanks for the help!

me too!!!

I have had the same problem and have had no luck getting the sensor out. Anybody out there know how ????

The sensor itself is only held in place by 1 bolt (5/16 socket). When restoring my front end I wanted to remove the sensor to sandblast the steering knuckle but couldn't get the ABS sensor out without destroying it. I decided to leave it in place as my ABS was (and still is) working fine. Here is a picture of the Inside of the steering knuckle. The ABS sensor protector (Red in the center) is shown with the 2 bolts. One secures the sensor to the spindle, the other secures the ABS protector to the knuckle. I mangled the OEM protector bolt and replaced it with a 6mm x 1.00 hex head cap bolt (uses 5mm allen wrench).
205Restored_Steering_knuckle_ready_for_install_low.jpg

Since you're replacing the sensors just pound them out. Use a copper flight and a hammer. Once they're out clean the holes before installing the new sensors.

Back