• Register Today It's free!

Can't use FIX-A-FLAT with TPMS!

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a slow leak and got out my trusty can of Fix-A-Flat. I read the instructions and they said not to use it with tire pressure sensors. Is there any other stuff I can use to fix a slow leak? Thanks much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I answered my own ? Sorry. I must have an old can. I went to the F-A-F web site and the new stuff is pressure sensor safe. I can't wait to use it....I love the stuff. One time I had a hole in my tire that was so big, the F-A-F was oozing out of the hole. It sealed, and the tire never lost a lb. of air for the rest of the life of the tire.

Please don't use that fix it flat crap.. That stuff is nasty to work with when you have to dismount a tire.. Just throw a plug in it.

Alot of tire places (discount) can repair tires for free depending on where the leak is...

Considering how much a new TPMS sensor runs, I wouldn't dream of putting fix-a-flat (even the new stuff) in my tire....

Please don't use that fix it flat crap.. That stuff is nasty to work with when you have to dismount a tire.. Just throw a plug in it.

It used to be that a tire place wouldn't touch a tire if it had fix-a-flat in it. They claimed that the propellant used could exploded if for some reason the tire tool sparked on a steel rim.

Hey All, Thanks for the reality check! I will pick up a tire plug kit today. Not sure what took me so long to plug a tire, but it doesn't look too difficult. Will post the results. Thanks again.

i uses fix a flat for bikes only LOL

It used to be that a tire place wouldn't touch a tire if it had fix-a-flat in it. They claimed that the propellant used could exploded if for some reason the tire tool sparked on a steel rim.

It wasn't a claim it was reality. Just ask the guy who worked at Northbrook Garage in Northbrook Illinois. Oh wait, you can't, HE'S DEAD.

It wasn't a claim it was reality. Just ask the guy who worked at Northbrook Garage in Northbrook Illinois. Oh wait, you can't, HE'S DEAD.

Tried to find something on the net about that, since I used to live near there. Couldn't find Northbrook specifically, but did find several other cases of tires exploding from the butane in aerosol tire sealants. And several deaths from tire bead failures. Actually, kind of scary!

Reminded me of all those youtube videos of people using ether and carb cleaner to "bead seat" a tire on a rim!

No need to find it. I used to be in and out of Northbrook Garage all the time when I managed a towing company. It was huge on the local news when it happened. This was back in the early '90's. This was a business I did business with not a mother's brother's neighbor's frind's spouce's wife's buddy of a roommate. I know it is true, if you want to doubt because you can't find it on the web that is your right. It is because of accidents like this one that fix-a-flat changed their propellerant and stopped using one that was flamable. Not saying that you believe or not but there will be the doubters.

I never said I doubted it. I had never seen any actual reports of it which is why I stated "claimed".

Dan, that is why I threw in the last sentence. Just to make sure. I did not want to offend you in any way.

Fight fight fight fight!!!

Well..........I found the slow leak. It's at the valve stem where it enters the rim. Is there any way to fix it without removing the tire from the rim, and replacing the valve stem? If not, no problem! It's a VERY slow leak and it won't be too much trouble keeping air it the tire until I need new ones.....almost 50K on them now. Thanks.

Well..........I found the slow leak. It's at the valve stem where it enters the rim. Is there any way to fix it without removing the tire from the rim, and replacing the valve stem? If not, no problem! It's a VERY slow leak and it won't be too much trouble keeping air it the tire until I need new ones.....almost 50K on them now. Thanks.

Your best bet is to break down the wheel & tire combo and have a new valve stem installed.

Back