Car keeps locking in car wash?

Justyman87

2011 Ford Explorer Owner!
Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
This has happened twice now. My 2011 Ford Explorer Limited locked in the car wash for no reason. I think it is because they accidentally hit the lock button exiting the car but they “claim” no. The first time my keys where in the car so my dad had to drop off my spare. The second I had them with me and was able to unlock it for them. Why would it just lock? Anyone else have this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We've never had this issue. Why didn't you just use the keypad to unlock the door?

If the keys were in the ignition while going through the car wash, the doors would not lock.

This has happened twice now. My 2011 Ford Explorer Limited locked in the car wash for no reason. I think it is because they accidentally hit the lock button exiting the car but they “claim” no. The first time my keys where in the car so my dad had to drop off my spare. The second I had them with me and was able to unlock it for them. Why would it just lock? Anyone else have this issue?
Vince has a good point. Why did you not unlock the vehicle using the keypad?
Perhaps the attendant while cleaning the inside accidently pushed the pop up lock button down. I have mine set up to unlock all 4 doors so if one lock was pushed down, the other doors would not be affected.
Also, when I've washed mine in the driveway, with the fob in my pocket, the doors will constantly lock and unlock when I'm cleaning over the touch button in the handle.

Peter

If the keys were in the ignition while going through the car wash, the doors would not lock.
They would if the pop up lock button was pushed down or if the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons were held for a short time.
BTW, the OP has a Limited with push button start.

Peter

why not take the fob out of the car through a car wash.

I deactivated my keypad entry at the time this happened. I now keep my keys on me and also as a backup activated the keypad entry once again. I just don’t understand why it keeps happening, they probably click it and don’t even realize it.
- Justin

My '13 does this when I wash it in the driveway. It happens as I get water and wash mitt movement near the keypad and the touch sensors on the handles. Actually very easy to duplicate and to do. Annoying!! :D

Oh and it only seems to happen when washing, not drying. And yes, I have the key fob usually either in the car or in my pocket while I am washing the car.

Had this happen to me last week while the people was dying the vehicle off. I couldn't remember the code to get in and was waiting for my wife to call me back with the code. The owner brought out his magic bag and in about 10 seconds the door was opened. :eek:

Does anyone know if any other cars have this issue or it just because they wash over the lock button on the door.
- Justin

Does anyone know if any other cars have this issue or it just because they wash over the lock button on the door.
- Justin
Like a few of us have stated, it happens when someone touches the button and the key fob is within range of the Explorer. I now leave my key fob out of range when I wash the vehicle.
If by 'any other cars' you mean other manufacturers, it would depend on how their locks work. If they have the touch sensitive handles then I assume you would get the same results. It is normal since that is the way the design is supposed to work.

Peter

Like a few of us have stated, it happens when someone touches the button and the key fob is within range of the Explorer. I now leave my key fob out of range when I wash the vehicle.
If by 'any other cars' you mean other manufacturers, it would depend on how their locks work. If they have the touch sensitive handles then I assume you would get the same results. It is normal since that is the way the design is supposed to work.

Peter

I think I should think before I post sometimes. :D

I'm betting something in the car wash is hitting the black button on the door handle...I think they are pressure-sensitive and not capacitive

My cardoors lock during car wash

I have had my car doors automatically lock during car washes as well.. This has happened about 3 times. I have all autolock settings off but still continues to lock. The attendant said this has happened to a few explorers and even asked me to sit in car while it went through so I did.. And poof! They locked, car was not going more than 5miles per hour.. Luckily I know my key pad code

It is a documented "problem" but falls under the "normal characteristic of the vehicle" line from the folks at Ford.

To clarify, for those unfamiliar with the problem, the doors will lock while washing the vehicle WITHOUT PHYSICALLY TOUCHING the vehicle. Proximity of the fob (?) and water flowing down the side windows is sufficient.

That doesn't really make any sense. Are you sure it's not just the water pressure hitting the black pressure pads on the door handles?

Have you guys thought about just getting out of the car and taking the keyfob with you? As long as they don't turn it off, they can drive it all around the car wash with no problem...but they won't be able to lock it accidentally from the outside

That doesn't really make any sense. Are you sure it's not just the water pressure hitting the black pressure pads on the door handles?

Yep, I thought maybe that was doing it too so I tested. The water does not need to be sprayed at the handle for the doors to lock/unlock.

Old thread but I wanted to mention I was out hosing off my car and it locked several times... the water pressure hitting the black pad on the door handle is enough to lock it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't some of the Ex's have an autolock feature? I think my sport has it

Back