Carlovers Desert Beater Build | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carlovers Desert Beater Build

Well im starting to source parts and gather up some good stuff. I figured id start a thread just to show everyone that the ideas are. Should be a pretty fun setup when done. Everything will be being built by Brandon at BTF Fab.

The rear will be a 4 link with a panhard bar and cantilever coilovers. Shooting for around 20" of rear travel. Full size van 9", and should be around 3.5" wider per side than stock

Front will be a BTF front setup more than likely with a fully fabbed spindle with d44 hubs and uniball upper and lowers. Should pull around 16-17" of travel. Will be around 5" wider a side than stock.

It will be a fairly slow build due to finances. It will be built in stages obviously and should take around 12-16 months to be fully complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all the main tubes are to the frame already. so just break the tack welds and the cage should drop to be 360 welded. if not then we will cut holes in the roof to weld up and just repair what we cut.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i got a 96 4.0 that im building up. im going with a bms lt kit blackhawk coilovers and by-pass shocks, caged, bfg projects, super 88 kit for the rear axle, 4.10s, deaver springs, a detroit locker and a sweet engine upgrade. going with a morana 4.3l stroker and a c6 with an art carr shifter. thats all i got off the top of my head. but for now its still stock but this will b the future of my baby

i got a 96 4.0 that im building up. im going with a bms lt kit blackhawk coilovers and by-pass shocks, caged, bfg projects, super 88 kit for the rear axle, 4.10s, deaver springs, a detroit locker and a sweet engine upgrade. going with a morana 4.3l stroker and a c6 with an art carr shifter. thats all i got off the top of my head. but for now its still stock but this will b the future of my baby

Sounds like you need your own build thread

true but with my finances that thread wont be started for another year

all the main tubes are to the frame already. so just break the tack welds and the cage should drop to be 360 welded. if not then we will cut holes in the roof to weld up and just repair what we cut.

I vote you peel back that roof like a sardine can and weld away :D

Just read this whole thread and it is awesome!
A lot of great info. Props that truck is sick!
I don't even want to hear the dollar you have put into that. lol
Keep up the awesome work!

we cut ours in the center of A,B,C dropped the top half welded the top of the cage, and put it back up, sleaved the tube with the next size down and welded bungs into drilled holes in top and bottom that we had made earlier.

not a bad idea. most of it is 360 welded and the parts that arent will get welded from the roof it looks like. should be all done tommorow. what a project this turned out to be, but i think its looks badass for sure.

I cut through the floor, dropped the a-b-c down as far as i could, and burned it in with heat blankets all over the place. FWIW i still got spark burns in various spots, but i did mine ghetto style with the interior still in. Also, there were a couple of super tight spots that i had to swap the welder back over to FCAW and take the nozzle off just to get to it. :rolleyes:

I think its kindofa PITA no matter how you go about it.

pretty much finished. just some plating to do on the floors and roof...

cage5.jpg

cage9.jpg

cage6.jpg

cag8.jpg

Looks great! What was done behind the rear seats? Did you build onto the bedcage that you already had or did you start over? I ask because in the previous batch of pics it was not there.

Looks great! What was done behind the rear seats? Did you build onto the bedcage that you already had or did you start over? I ask because in the previous batch of pics it was not there.

it got cut out because it was only 1 3/4 and the cage is all 2". we got it out intact though so i can sell it.

So now that this is almost done, will you be making it to truckhaven? Or are you jumping right into the link project?

Looks good, thats no doubt as tight as you're ever going to be able to fit one in an X.

:thumbsup:

Looks Awesome.....Me next Me Next! after Truckhaven of course and my wallet recovers from the current projects:D

Looks great Sean, nice and sturdy looking. Can you get a shot or 2 of the A-pillars going into the dash? Thanks

Looks great Sean, nice and sturdy looking. Can you get a shot or 2 of the A-pillars going into the dash? Thanks

yeah ill get some pics in the morning, but they dont really go into the dash just t ucked right along side of it in the door jam area,

Back