• Register Today It's free!

Carter Water Pump

Alpsodelic

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer xlt
Hi. I am considering the Carter Water Pump from RockAuto. ( More Information for CARTER W9101RF ) . I like that it comes with bolts and gaskets. Anyway, it seems a bit different than the stock Motocraft pump in that is doesn't have this metal piece covering the pump fins. (see pic). Do you think that matters? thanks

pumps.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This metal shield increases the volumetric flow.anyways motorcraft never produce parts with unnessesary features since it is the manufacturer blueprint exact specs.

I agree with Bazz270 and would buy a third party pump that is closest to the OEM design. Both pumps might work equally well but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way that they do not.

do you all recommend any brand other than Motocraft? Looks like a lot of those come rusty...

The darker spots on the Motorcraft fin cover are spot welds, not rust.

The darker spots on the Motorcraft fin cover are spot welds, not rust.
im saying that in some of the pics on amazon at least and some of the reviews, the pump actually has rust on it. i would probably order from RockAuto but where to get the gaskets and bolts? i didnt see them there. thanks

Why do you need to replace the bolts?cause you dont have to ( unless the bolts are heavily rusted and the threads are stripped or damaged somehow ).

IMHO You better reuse the old oem bolt rather of the chinese noname brand ones that comes with the aftermarket pumpa like rockauto ultra power house brand.

Based on my opinion only,motorcraft is the better option here and the second option is the ACDelco,Gates or Melling

Order the oring from rockauto as well.

Surface rust doesnt really matters even if it really exist on the 5 percent of motorcraft amazon supplied pumps.

I just wanted have the bolts in case there is a Problem. And won’t I need a new gasket?

I'd get the OEM pump, new gasket, and reuse the old bolts.

In the pictures, the Carter pump comes with a gasket....

1709806729536.png

Does anyone have a link to the gasket for the Motocraft pump? I couldnt find one. Thanks! I think Ill return the carter and get the Moto

If you are on Rock Auto looking at water pumps, the category right under "water pump & fan clutch assembly" is "water pump gasket"...
1709844702688.png

The new one should come with a gasket. I've never gotten one without a gasket.

Hi. I am considering the Carter Water Pump from RockAuto. ( More Information for CARTER W9101RF ) . I like that it comes with bolts and gaskets. Anyway, it seems a bit different than the stock Motocraft pump in that is doesn't have this metal piece covering the pump fins. (see pic). Do you think that matters? thanks

The new one should come with a gasket. I've never gotten one without a gasket.
So I ordered the Motocraft pump.
It came with an O ring around the pump here
1710294457202.png

Are there any other gaskets or seals needed?
does it also need a gasket here where it mounts?:

1710294576059.png

thanks!

I just wanted have the bolts in case there is a Problem. And won’t I need a new gasket?

In past experience, new water pumps come with a gasket in the box.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, that appears to be a large O ring or something similar that is part of the pump assembly. I'm talking about the gasket that seals the pump to the mating surface of the engine. The flat surface including the ears where the bolts go through.
did not come with this gasket but according to one comment it is not needed and I have not seen them for sale. Do you have a link to any of said gasket for sale? thanks

Back