• Register Today It's free!

Change front diff tube?

funkadellicd

Reaction score
City, State
Soddy Daisy, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Hey guys - I'd much appreciate some help on an odd situation.

I'm in the middle of a project to replace my 96's axle gears with some 4.10 axles. I've already replaced the rear, and was going to use a front differential I bought from a '98 (difference being that in '98, they didn't have the vacuum axle disconnect mechanism).

Only after I'd gotten everything together did I realize that on the passenger side of my transplant differential, there isn't an intermediate axle to connect the CV joint to! Unfortunately, I can't return the diff and I have no idea where to even buy the part.

XUEjddjFrVpM1T8h8

My first thought was to use the intermediate axle from my old diff, but as it's the special disconnect kind, I don't think it'll work unless I want a permanently disconnected axle (as the '98 diff case doesn't have any space for the vacuum mechanism.

I was about to lose hope when I noticed what looked like threads around the intermediate shaft tube going into the diff housing - I searched a bit on here and found that 'twisting tubes' is pretty common, but I couldn't find anything about the 90's era explorers doing it, and I thought everyone was probably referencing rear axles, not front axles.

GXQzCE19YWAN9TY7A

So my question is this - is it possible to un-screw the intermediate shaft axle tube from the '98 diff and screw in the '96 tube and intermediate axle?

If not, does anyone know where I can buy the axle piece to make this work?

Back