Searching for usable Tall Valve Covers 5.0 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Searching for usable Tall Valve Covers 5.0

Replace the PCV grommet, or short term use some RTV around it if you have to.

lol It's actually a new grommet. I made sure it was pressed down as much as it can so hopefully it should stay put unless my cam rocks that baby loose.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol It's actually a new grommet. I made sure it was pressed down as much as it can so hopefully it should stay put unless my cam rocks that baby loose.:D

That new one should make it fairly snug, but if it will move given any crankcase pressures, then it's time to seal it in place, and apply a new vacuum source.

Got her back up and going. I don't know if it's just from driving The Stang so long or what could just be my imagination. The low end feel just didn't seem as strong. Runs fine otherwise. I do need to go around checking everything because I noticed a small seep on the ground under the pass side Cat. Looked up with a flashlight and seem some oil on the rear corner of the gasket and valve cover. Don't know if I didn't tighten it down enough or there's a defect in the surface. God I hope not.

It sounds good. Just double check the VC bolts as best you can, using just hand(wrist) strength and a small ratchet. It looks really clean so hopefully it can be easy to keep up with any new leaks, or find them etc.

Thanks, after the video I did notice a very small seep coming from the pass rear corner onto the header. On Monday I went through and heat tightened all the bolts I could reach and it seems the leak stopped. Vacuum looks good. Everything seems fine. It really got tested yesterday as I got caught in a 90 minute traffic jam to work where it was normally 12-15 minutes. Ran flawlessly.
I do think I need to adjust the throttle because with this cam it has a tendency to stall or drop really low when shifting from park to Reverse or drive.

Here's a few pics I took from work. Thanks again Jon for the awesome looking valve covers. The mustang guys here love it.

20150415_162443.jpg

20150415_162453.jpg

20150415_165010.jpg

Well, I think it looks great! I'm glad I could be involved from a distance, and really glad those valve covers worked out, because stock ones just look true and clean.

So VroomZoomBoom is selling his accufab 70mm throttle modified for Explorer fitment.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428423

Thinking about picking it up if you think it'll compliment the engine mods I have now? I know I'll have to contact james and purchase new tune revisions and do some more data logging. But I wanted to get your guy's feedback before spending that money on a throttle and tune revisions.

You can swap that TB without worrying about the tune, the change will be negligible. Stock was 65mm, and the elbow size is no bigger than the 70mm really.

I have a 75mm TB for mine but when I fitted it I could see that the elbow couldn't be opened up that much(in the turns).

You know what the bottleneck is, but you are working on the other small items too. You might go up one size with the inlet pipe, it's better to have that bigger than the TB. If you look into that, please post what you find. I have browsed for inlet pipe material a few times. I'd like one similar to the yours and the stock locations, for my future Explorer 302 swap.

Yeah I've had that one since 2007. It's the MAC intake for the 97-01 5.0's. I've been busy but the few searches I've had haven't really seen anything that's the same length and has the same bends. I'll have to measure mine and see if I can build. That's assuming I get that throttle. I need to put that off a little longer. Got some other things planned for the truck including some body work. But that's good to know that the tuning shouldn't be modified for that. Hopefully it'll give better throttle response as mine feels laggy at times.

i know making a "intake elbow" as i call it (from the tb to intake) isnt to hard to do (or from me it wasnt). at first i chopped up a stock one to later find out that would be harder to do then to make one from scratch. all i did was cut to sets of plates for the intake side, then the throttle body side, and egr. i bolted them to the elbow, then welded them to a steel plate, then unbolted them and slid the elbow out of it, and bolted the 2nd pair of plates back onto it. i then bought a 90 degree galvanized exhaust pipe, cut it to fit into the jig i made, then welded it all together. because its exhaust pipe there is no cast flashing in it, so it is also smoother inside as well. the one i made was for the first 75mm throttle body that i bought at all ford nationals that ended up being junk, so i bought a 75mm accufab right at american muscle (yes, i was at that place to :D)

there was nobody locally that had a alum 90 degree manderal bent pipe locally, and i didnt want to get one online incase it wasnt what i needed (that and it would have cost about $90 by the time it was shipped). i had tried a machine bit a friend gave me using a drill press, but it wouldnt drill the same each time i moved it, and the guy i gave it to, to try and fix it for me, made it worse, sooooo i had to start from scratch making one made from metal.
i used some scrap metal from work, and bought a pipe from a truck exhaust shop locally, then cut them all up to fit.

IMG_2194_Medium_.jpg

then stuck them in the jig i made

IMG_2195_Medium_.jpg

IMG_2196_Medium_.jpg

tacked in place, then pulled it out of the jig to finish welding it

IMG_2199_Medium_.jpg

figured i would also weld the inside just to make sure it was strong enough, and make sure there was no pin holes

IMG_2200_Medium_.jpg

IMG_2202_Medium_.jpg

then ground

IMG_2203_Medium_.jpg

(i did put the egr tube on it as well, but the pic was to blurry).
put the throttle body on it to see how it fit

IMG_2205_Medium_.jpg

there will be no choking from it now

IMG_2206_Medium_.jpg

IMG_2207_Medium_.jpg

then fit it on the mock/spare motor i have.

IMG_2209_Medium_.jpg

edit, sorry, i lied. i made the jig out of wood. the one i made for the m112 supercharger i made from metal.

Ok I'm still somewhat confused on figuring out the TPS setup. Obviously my Explorer one will not fit in the round slot of the ACCUFAB TB. But I'm confused on how I should go about using the mustang styled one to wire in into my harness. Do I need to snip off the pigtail or find a new connector to fit into the mustang pigtail connector?

I would do that next time too, make the Mustang TPS work, altering the stock wiring connector etc.

When I got the Accufab TB I worked on a spare Explorer TPS and made it work. I couldn't find any other application that would work on the Mustang TPS besides the Mustang part, or modify something else. So I have a stock TPS with the holes wallowed out just enough to bolt on, but it was too much work to want to do again. It also required different bolts/washers, which I got but they are obviously non stock shiny.

100_2621.jpg

Sorry I'm just more of a visual kind of guy. I was looking at the old thread and noticed that the stock connector on his harness has some kind of adapter looking thing on it to fit the rounded plug on the mustang TPS. I need to know what that piece is, also my TPS that came with the throttle doesn't have the round rubber grommet in the center of the TPS. Is that important for sealing out air?

I was talking to Jon and he mentioned something about a 1995 Mustang TPS too.

It was many years back that I was looking at different TPS models. Things may have changed a bit, but back then only the Fox TPS was an easy part to use(cutting the wires etc, like Tim did).

What is that in that picture between the TB and the TPS? It looks like some kind of adapter, which might be an interesting possibility.

Back