• Register Today It's free!

Changer Troubles?

19Exp94

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have a 96 EB Explorer with the JBL stuff. The 6 disc changer is acting up and I can't figure out what's going on. When I put the magazine in, the changer pulls out the CD into the changer like usual. The changer then refuses to read the CD and I get a headunit display of "Bad CD" (the CDs are not burned- they are normal). When I hit the "eject" button on the changer, it takes the changer longer than usual to spit out the CD, and it takes it even longer to eject the cartridge. All of the CDs are loaded into the magazine correctly. Everything operates as normal, it just doesn't play the CD or eject quite as fast. The problem happened first and lasted for about a week, then out of the blue it worked fine again. That lasted about another week until it started messing up again. That was a month ago and it still hasn't started working. Question is: Is the changer wore out, is it dirty, etc... Any suggestions for doing some things to figure out/fix the problem? Appreciate any and all help.

I have this same problem...any answers?

I have the 6 cd changer in my explorer 96. I guess is the same for year-model. Mine does something like that but never gives me a message, only skips to another disc. i used burned cds. I tried one of those cheap "cd lens cleaner disc" and solved a little the problem, at least for now, it can play cds normally. Try that.

Yeah and check all the connections to it. On my 94 we had the 10 disk changer and occasionally it would go to play a cd, insert it into the cd player itself, then turn on, and off, on and off, and keep doing this.

Check all the cables for it, run a cd lens cleaner like mexplorer did, and hope for the best!

Back