Changing a 4x2 AT to a 4x4 AT can it be done? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing a 4x2 AT to a 4x4 AT can it be done?

nostopin

Reaction score
City, State
nor cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 exporer
I curently have a 2door 4x2 with a M/T. the thing is very tired and the tranny is about to blow. it binds in reverse, grinds going in 3rd, and i drained about 1/2 a cup of metal out of the oil. not to mention rats have moved into my blower fan and cant use the defroster. The shop I usually go to has a 91-94 (not sure of the exact year) 4door 4x4 explorer in very good shape. needs transmission. its a A/T though. he only wants a few hundred as is, 2k with a new tranny. this is something I can do on my own so i'm looking for a 4x4 A/T. cant find any that are cheap. they are all more than half the blue book of the explorer. I have found a 4x2 A/T for 600. can I take the rear housing off the old 4x4 trans and put it on the 4x2? is there a length difference? if anyone has done this, or knows of a place to get a cheap 4x4 A/T I'll send you a christmas card ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no.. I had the same Q a few weeks ago. apparently the output shaft is different and the only was to change it is to totally dissemble the trans. You should be able to find a A4LD trans for that truck in a junk yard pretty plentifully

I don't understand what your goals are. You have a 4x2 with a MT that's on it's last legs. You've found a 4x4 with an AT that's blown. So you have at your disposal 2 X's, neither one of which has a good trans. . . Which vehicle are you trying to fix? What good is the junk yard vehicle to you, when the only part you need for your X (the trans) is blown in the junk yard vehicle? And finally, why go from a 5 speed to the much weaker auto trans?

Ok, so what I got from this is:
Your current explorers transmission is about to give out.
A local shop has a 4x4 with the trans already blown.
Your dilemma is, you can't find a cheap replacement trans, but you've found a 4x2 trans and want to frankenstine it with the blown 4x4 one to get it running/driving again.

You should check a junkyard (u-pull will be cheaper) and get a replacement from there. It'll be better for you to get a trans built for the 4x4 than try to rig one up.

Just my .02

have you gotten an estimate to fix up your manual transmission? Have you looked for a replacement M/T? around here the Manuals go cheaper than autos any day.

ya i have found several M/T. To answer your question Little X my current explorer is a 4x2 2 door, power nothing base model. and the front end needs tons of work. (very sketchy to drive in the snow) and the dash would have to be removed to fix the mess the mice made in the blower, both door panels are broke so u gotta roll down the window to shut the door. broken windshield etc. It has been beat. The explorer at the tire shop is a 4x4 4door eddie bauer in really nice condition other than the blown A/T

Get the 4x4 EB and replace the tranny in that one. wow!

ya i have found several M/T. To answer your question Little X my current explorer is a 4x2 2 door, power nothing base model. and the front end needs tons of work. (very sketchy to drive in the snow) and the dash would have to be removed to fix the mess the mice made in the blower, both door panels are broke so u gotta roll down the window to shut the door. broken windshield etc. It has been beat. The explorer at the tire shop is a 4x4 4door eddie bauer in really nice condition other than the blown A/T

Sorry to be rude but thats a no brainer. Your explorer should be in the cash for clunkers no offence. I would really go for the 4x4 eddie bauer explorer.

I would really go for the 4x4 eddie bauer explorer.

I think thats what he's trying to do, if I'm not mistaken. It sounds like it would be worth the investment of a freshly rebuilt tranny if the EB is in really good condition. might be worth getting a rebuild quote from some local shops maybe? I guess that depends on whether you plan on keeping the truck for a while.

Have you checked craigslist for people parting out their explorers? some people are sane and don't want an arm and a leg for their used transmissions :^)

ya I have found a rebuilt 4x4 A/T for 1k. at the time all i was finding was 4x2. i'm deff gonna get the EB. was originally just wondering about the rear housing on the 4x2 and 4x4 trans if they are interchangeable, but "ragajungle" answered that for me, thanks. I plan to get a new powerstroke in a few years so I figure I might as well be comfortable in the EB for a few rather than the 2door I have now. If i stay under 2k total it will be worth the work.

Dude , your ex sounds like its time to euthanize it . For the $$$$ you will be
putting in to what you want to do .You can find another Ex that has what you want . Year parts swapping is not easy . You will find you will never finish
what you started . Go see " carsinbarns.com" .Take a crying towel with you.
Sorry dude sometimes you just have to say good bye.

Back