Charcoal canister/Purge valve solenoid delete? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Charcoal canister/Purge valve solenoid delete?

1992fordgreen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Inside the Rehabilitation Center
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 SC400 92 SC400 96 Ex
Lets talk emissions.

I was looking underneath my Explorer the other day and noticed the charcoal canister was gone. There were just two emission lines and the Purge valve solenoid. (in half BTW) The charcoal canister is supposed to be located in the ear of the gas tank, and the purge valve solenoid is in half and is in it's own little area. Canister is completely gone. PVS is in half. Lines are disconnected. My question.

Is this all necessary?
I was thinking I could do a canister delete somehow. Plug the lines or remove them and plug the holes? No CEL. Only ABS light.

ANother reason...the canister is 90 bucks at Auto Zone and the stinkin Purge valve solenoid is the same price!!! Holy crap...

I appreciate all of your opinions!

BTW, I won't pass emissions without them, will I? Where I live, I don't need emissions control crap, but I'm selling this Ex so it needs to pass emissions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW, it looks like I'll be grabbing all of this emission crap at the JY anyway. Still wondering about this though...

If it was mine and i was paying for the gas id keep that stuff.

I don't see how you don't have a light on if the purge solenoid is bad. It should be throwing an emissions code. I just had to replace mine to pass inspection.

No CEL or anything. Just ABS and that stupid O/D blinking light. -_-

I just remembered that I bought a canister for my 97 many years ago and then I never installed it. I know it's out in my cluttered garage somewhere. I think anyways, lol.

I don't see how you don't have a light on if the purge solenoid is bad. It should be throwing an emissions code. I just had to replace mine to pass inspection.

x2.

If the evap system isn't working right you should be getting a p044x code.

I've seen bad purge solenoids give p0440 and p0445 but you could get other codes too depending on what the ECM is seeing/saw.

~Mark

Correct. Mine threw the P0445 code.

x2.

If the evap system isn't working right you should be getting a p044x code.

I've seen bad purge solenoids give p0440 and p0445 but you could get other codes too depending on what the ECM is seeing/saw.

~Mark

only lights on in my dash is the ABS and the O\D light. :(

I can't explain why you don't have a CEL, assuming the CEL light actually works as in no one took the bulb out or put tape over it. Well maybe I can?

The Emission test is somewhat simple on the older ODB-II vehicles like yours but it should still be able to detect the leak.

Now its possible that the solenoid is still electrically working so the ECM thinks its opening/closing the system. Its also possible that someone plugged the line so the system appears to still be there (no leaks) as I don't think an older odb-II vehicle is going to detect insufficient flow through the evap system.

I am guessing that the system is closed otherwise it should have been detecting a leak like leaving the gas cap off.

You can check if they plugged the system by trying to blow throug the evap line between the solenoid and the front of the vehicle. If there is a line on the other side of the solenoid you could check that hose too but unless you energize the solenoid your not going to be able to blow through it but it sounds like part of the solenoid is missing so it won't open.

~Mark

than check the check engine light, they may have taken out the bulb,

Just ABS and that stupid O/D blinking light. -_-

So... your brakes are shot and the transmission is dying. No wonder you want to unload it on some guy that doesn't know better.

Probably the CEL light bulb got removed somehow. Anyway, emissions are the least of your concerns.

So... your brakes are shot and the transmission is dying. No wonder you want to unload it on some guy that doesn't know better.

Probably the CEL light bulb got removed somehow. Anyway, emissions are the least of your concerns.
Rear brakes are shot. Tranny JUST got rebuilt. And Im not trying to unload this on somebody. Emissions is not very important either here in NM. One car out of the millions breaking down the ozone wont do crap. ;)

CEL bulb might be out than. :(

thnx for the reply

Thank you all for your replys in helping me. Im gonna go check the CEL too see if it works.

And Im not trying to unload this on somebody.
Where I live, I don't need emissions control crap, but I'm selling this Ex so it needs to pass emissions.

Sorry if I did misread your first post.
Flashing O/D light indicates a problem with the transmission.
ABS light on indicates probably an issue in ABS module (air inside?). Rear brakes "shot" don't set codes, they usually just squeak.

A good reader will be able to read the manufacturer specific transmission code (not an OBDII code). ABS codes are even less frequent read by regular readers.

Yes, i'll be reading the code soon, once I get an OBDII code puller. Will be replacing this stuff hopefully.

CEL should come on for a few seconds every time you start the vehicle; this is to verify if the bulb is present and working. You would fail emissions here in GA right off the bat if your CEL does not come on. Good luck.

A little update on what I did here. I purchased the entire vapor canister collection assembly and put it in as well as the PVS and E lines. I checked the computer for stored codes and wonder of all wonders, code P0 something or another. Code reader said it was EVAP canister and emissions. Hopefully that was corrected by this fix.

Oh ya, I'll be taking out the cluster most likely anyway to clean so I'll get a bulb for the CEL then.

Now if yours is anything like the last two I changed in a short time you'll get the code for a "small evap leak". I'm not sure there is a worse code to try and find, lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now if yours is anything like the last two I changed in a short time you'll get the code for a "small evap leak". I'm not sure there is a worse code to try and find, lol.
I sure hope as heck I don't get that trouble code.

Back