• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light...Again

SICFISH

Reaction score
City, State
Daly City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited SOHC V8
I've been reading this forum ever since I got my Ex in March and have gained a lot of knowledge. Hopefully someone can give me some advice on a problem. Two days after getting my 2002 Limited, the CEL came on blinking. White smoke was billowing out of the exhaust and it smelled like gas. The engine was sucking gas like anything so I took it to the shop. They said it was a problem with the chip. In any case, they fixed it and the engine has been fine until recently. Its been about 2 weeks since I installed the new KKM and the light came back on, but not blinking. I did a thorough check on the engine, but found nothing. No smoke from the exhaust, gas mileage is fine, no funny sounds or anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi and welcome to the site.... first off, did you reset the computer after the kkm? i know you shouldnt have to do it, but it will clear the current code and may solve your cel problem as well....

Thanks...I did reset the computer. The engines been running fine for about 2 weeks with the KKM.

Use a code reader to see what turned the light on. If you don't have a code reader you can get it done for free at some auto parts stores. The neat thing about the code readers is you can reset the CEL light without disconnecting the battery.

The reason your CEL was flashing the first time, is because a very serious problem was detected, evident by the white smoke and heavy gas smell. Now that your CEL is on again, but this time steady it indicates one of the sensors doesn't have a value in the proper range. It isn't as serious and your engine may seem to be running fine. There is something wrong though that needs to be addressed. You can either take your Explorer back to Ford and let them deal with it under warranty or go to Autozone and have them read the codes for free and go from there. If you take it back to the dealer remove your KKM first though so they don't try blaming the CEL. It isn't worth the arguments with them when the filter can be removed so easily. If you over-oiled your KKM and the oil found its way to your MAF sensor, it will cause a CEL. If Ford finds out that that is what happened, they will charge you to correct it, regardless of your warranty.

Robert,
How serious is serious? Ford told me it was a computer chip issue the first time. I'm wondering if my Ex has a defective engine as the problem happened only 2 days after I bought it brand new. Back then I didn't know a thing about Ex's so I was just happy that it was fixed. Its a lot of hassle to have a brand new car in and out of the shop not to mention the money that went into it. I am completely in love with my Ex, but am seriously thinking of returning it if this problem doesn't get solved.

Gas cap on tight? This has caught me a few times. Make sure it snaps all the way tight.

GR899V8 - When your gas cap is loose the next cold start after a complete drive cycle, your CEL on your '99 will be set. On SICFISH's '02 he should have a separate light for his gas cap. Ford added that in either '00 or '01. I can't imagine that they would have taken it away again in '02.

SICFISH - From what I have seen, ever time the light came on flashing, the person's Explorer was running very bad, requiring them to get it to the shop ASAP. The many times I have read of a CEL coming on solid (myself included) the Explorer usually seems to be running OK and could probably limp around for a couple of days. Some people have even been known to drive around for a year or two with their CEL light on solid. That wouldn't be a good idea since that could very easily just cause more expensive problems later on. For instance if you have a bad $60 upstream O2 sensor that causes your CEL to come on. If left unattended, eventually you'll plug up an $800 catalytic converter.

Edited to correct use of flashing & solid :(

robert knows his stuff, lol. my check engine light was caused by a bad o2 sensor, and then a week later, it was found out i needed a new cat (800). not cool. lol

Robert,
You really do know your stuff...just got my baby back from the Ford dealership and guess what...its the catalytic converter. For some reason though, they didn't have the time to actually fix the problem(been there for 2 days now), so I just got the car back. I got the extended warranty so it should be covered. My big problem is, what the hell is going on with my car??? Its brand new and already has 2 major problems. I'm thinking that this must be covered in California's "Lemon" Law. A 2day old car shouldn't have massive amounts of foul smelling smoke come out of its exhaust nor should it have a catalytic problem at 5000 miles. I truly love my car, but for the investment I made in it, it shouldn't be so problematic this early. Might be time to turn it in.

BTW,
When my car's CEL started blinking the day after I bought it, I brought it back to Ford. They said that it should go away and that I should bring it back if it blinked for more than 3 cold starts...the day after that, it started sucking gas and spewing smoke...enough smoke to cloud up an entire block where I live and piss off every driver behind me.

So far, my ride has gone 3 days with the solid light on with no problems at all...I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

That was totally irresponsible for your dealer to send you on your way without even checking why your CEL was flashing. What if your Explorer would have shut off on you while driving in heavy traffic on the freeway? They should have never sent you on your way without being sure that it wasn't something serious. It turns out that it was. You only have 5K miles, and it is a 2002. You are covered fully under the manufacturer warranty. If your Extended warranty was purchased through Ford, many provide a rental car while your Explorer is in for warranty work. I would never drive around with the CEL on knowing that Ford may be responsible for fixing it. Just be sure and put your factory box on first incase the oil from your filter contaminated your MAF sensor. If you want to try and resolve it yourself, you can try cleaning your MAF (do a search to see how) and disconnect your battery. If your CEL comes back on, then your computer is still detecting the problem. Driving around won't make it go away. Before I got my OBD-II scanner, I always pulled the battery cable to clear the codes whenever my CEL came on. If the light came back on then I knew the problem was still there. Once when I did it, the light never did come back on.

There are different intervals for everything that dictates when the CEL will go off. On some things, as soon as the problem gets corrected your light will go off. On others it takes a certain number of successful no-fault conditions before the CEL will go off. The only way to find out why your light is on is to get the codes read. Maybe I suggested this before, but if not try going down to Autozone. They will read your codes for free on the spot and tell you what they mean. Sometimes that if more convenient than scheduling an appointment with your dealer and then dropping it off.

Robert,
Thanks for setting me straight on the new "gas cap" light! Seems like mine locked onto the code and held it for more than a couple tanks of gas. I finally bought a code reader to reset it myself (we don't have self-serve gas here, so it gets left loose a few times a year).

Back