Sinjin

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Avondale(Phoenix), Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
"RETIRED" 1997 Sport
I've read tons of post on the check engine light just staying on, but does anyone know what it means when it's constantly blinking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a code?

Bare with me here...I've historically been a chevy type guy and I'm learning a lot with my Ford motor now.

On some of the computer controlled chevys OBD 1 ( I think ) and maybe some of the OBDII stuff, you could pull codes from the vehicle that would tell you or narrow down the search.

Is it possible to get a code from Sinjin's truck or maybe is it flashing a code?

Sinjin, IS it running normal or does it seem sluggish now? Any clues from the way it's running?

Rob, that was my first thought also. I think it would be flashing a code. Rod- does the light blink at a constant rate or does it blink a few times then pause then blink a few more? If it is constant blinking at the same speed I don't think it would be a code. I don't know for sure on later models like your's though.

Well when I first started it up this morning it was a constant blinking, but it went off after about 10 mins. And now its just stays on.
When I drive it still feels fine though. I dunno what the deal is. lol

Hmmmm....

Mine use to throw a check engine light and it would stay on for long periods of time while driving ( 10 mins to an hours on road trips ) It would also ping on uphill climbs under load and felt somewhat sluggish ( Terms all mechanics love )

Turns out my O2's were bad and maybe the Fuel Pressure Regulator. The Ford shop pulled the codes ( for $35.00 ) and told me everything's normal except for the Lean Engine code.

After I replaced the O2's and FPR it ran great. MPG picked up slitghly too.

Rod, How many miles on your truck? and have you replaced the O2's? They are good for about 45K miles on average. Also wonder if there might be some after effects of being submerged for an extended period of time.

Another thought, IS it surging when you start it up? Only when cold? or all the time? A bad O2 might cause that since the computer is trying to get the fuel mixture right.

I'm reaching here. May have an intake leak somewhere too, Good idea to check all the vacum hoses and make sure they are good.

Good Luck

Back