Chewed up 02 oil pan drain plug o-ring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chewed up 02 oil pan drain plug o-ring

TPC11

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4x4
Hey guys, I have an 02 XLS that I service myself every 3,000 miles. Since the first time I changed the oil (now have 35,000 miles on it) I noticed that the drain plug o-ring was a little chewed up. After taking a look at the pan, it appears that Ford has an inner threaded plate inside the thin oil pan wall which the plug threads into. There is a small lip between the oil pan wall and this threaded plate which seem kind of sharp. I do not over tighten the plug, just snug it up. The last oil change I checked it out and I really need to replace the o-ring. Has anybody else run into this problem? Does anybody have a part number for the o-ring? I would like to get a few just to keep on hand. Thanks for the help and awesome forum by the way!!

TC

Take the o-ring to the dealer, they'll have one.

If the ring is in the truck, I'm sure the parts counter at the dealer or the local auto parts store has them and will now exactly what you're talking about without a part #.

I've been told you should replace the o-ring everytime you change oil. But I don't.

Back