Oil Pan 98 SOHC (rusted THROUGH!!) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pan 98 SOHC (rusted THROUGH!!)

I hated changing the oil in my wife Explorer she had with the SOHC. Yes it went every where(I think the 2v 5.4's have this problem too:rolleyes:). Then I made a shield from a 2 liter bottle so it would hit it, and then go into a oil pan;)

But you still gotta love the OHV...no rusting with aluminum pan, and no mess when draing the valve in the bottom of the pan where it belongs;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stic-O, have to agree with you on the OHV. Very easy to change oil. Didnt know the pan was aluminum, guess I never really paid attention. Thats good to know though!

I know it was a while back, but where'd you get this pan, Joe? I'm digging around and I can't find one on Ford's site, FastPartsNetwork, or Autozone. Was it from the dealer at an employee discount?

Little help, Joe? Having no luck on this.

I am going to do an oil change this weekend and thinking of dropping the pan and cleaning it out. Hopefully I dont have any little surprises waiting for me in the pan.

My questions are:

Does the gasket need to be replaced?
Are there any specific torque specs or is wrench tight good enough?

Anyone ?

I am going to do an oil change this weekend and thinking of dropping the pan and cleaning it out. Hopefully I dont have any little surprises waiting for me in the pan.

My questions are:

Does the gasket need to be replaced?
Are there any specific torque specs or is wrench tight good enough?

Nevermind, I'm going to replace the gasket. Did some searching and came up empty on torque soooo wrench tight it is!!!

Umm, the gasket is a part of the pan itself. Good luck replacing it separately.

If my memory serves, teh torque spec was like 13 in*lbs... not much at all. It doesn't take much to distort the pan.

Why is the gasket sold separately if it's part of the pan? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk. I have a leak and I was planning on changing the gasket that I found at Autozone because I haven't found a replacement pan yet. Just trying to find out if it's harder than I was thinking it's going to be.

Update: Just found an oil pan special order from O'Reilly's but it says the gasket is not included? Now I'm confused.

The gasket is not part of the pan, and it can be re-used

I did this last weekend on my 99 with the 4.0 V6 SOHC. Thanks to this write up and some tips from other forum members I had no problems. Tips I used: I ordered the pan from www.fastpartsnetwork.com for $48.16, I used a scoop/funnel made from an old plastic bottle to direct the oil into my catch pan as I drained the oil, and when I unbolted the pan I was sure to watch for the extra oil still sitting in the pan even after it stopped dripping from the plug.

I was curious to see exactly how much the dealer would have charged to swap the oil pan on the explorer so I called them. $1,400 !!! They seem to think you have to jack up the engine and remove the axle, neither of which are required. This is a straight up unbolt, slide it out and rebolt the new one. Also as some members already mentioned the gasket is included as an attached part of the new pan.

Was your truck 4x4?

Fel-Pro OS30687R - Compatible with 97 SOHC Pan?

Umm, the gasket is a part of the pan itself. Good luck replacing it separately.

If my memory serves, teh torque spec was like 13 in*lbs... not much at all. It doesn't take much to distort the pan.

Hi,

I have a 97 4.0 SOHC and the oil pan (97 JM-6675-BC R9NRA) has a built-in rubber-bead gasket/seal bonded to the pan rail. I didn't realize this before purchasing a Fel-Pro pan gasket # OS 30687 R. The rubber on the existing pan seems too brittle to re-use with any reasonable degree of confidence.

The Fel-Pro gasket is a composite type and lines up properly with the bolt holes and contour of the pan, and the inner rubber portion aligns with the existing built-in rubber bead. But it's unclear to me if it should be installed over the existing bonded rubber bead, or should I first remove the bead? If I remove the bead, it seems like the rubber portion of the new gasket may seat too low (in the recess left by the old bead) and leak.

Has anyone here used this particular gasket on a pan that has the built-in rubber bead/gasket? I'll try an post a few pics a bit later to clarify. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

--mike

I'd say use the pan as-is with the attached rubber gasket, and save the Fel-pro gasket as a spare for later on, if the stock gasket ever leaks or if you need to drop the pan again for something.

It'd be a bad idea to use the Fel-pro AND the stock gasket, two gaskets will surely leak and you'd mess up both re-doing the job.

You could try to remove the rubber gasket and install the Fel-pro, but that seems like a lot of hassle for something that will make no difference. The stock gasket seems to work and seal just fine.

Back