Chirping Noise at Idle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chirping Noise at Idle?

16EBBOY

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V6
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 72600 miles. When at idle i have a chirping noise any suggestions as to what it could be?

Forgive me if you already thought of this...and

I don't know anything about 3rd Gen's....but usually when you hear "chirping" and "tweety birds" under the hood of any car....it's something to do with the belt(s). Now this could be a number of things, but all fairly easy to fix, and closely related. Warped pullies, worn belt, loose fan, or even a mis-sized belt. Get your oil changed lately or have any belt work done? Sometimes the Jiffy Lubes and Oil Can Henrys of the world don't exactly do an A+ job every time. I'd start there, good luck!

It isn't a belt it sounds like its coming from the right side of the engine and its in tune with the idle idk if its a normal sound because while the engine is running i do have a ticking but its a normal engine ticking sound kinda idk how to explain.

It isn't a belt it sounds like its coming from the right side of the engine and its in tune with the idle idk if its a normal sound because while the engine is running i do have a ticking but its a normal engine ticking sound kinda idk how to explain.

I just had a similar problem. Really didn't seem like the belt, but it was. I replaced the tensioner and idler trying to figure out what it was. It sounded like it was only making noise on the passenger side.

Picked up a belt from Advance for $17 and it's been quiet for a few months!

I did the water test. Poured a cup of water on the belt when it's running. If it silences the chirp momentarily, then that's your culprit!

Back