Clear Corners & Custom Tails w/ Writeup & Pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clear Corners & Custom Tails w/ Writeup & Pics

AnabolicFrolic

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
Here are some new pics of my X. I finally got some clear corners and painted my taillights so I thought id show off those new mods. Also the cloud cover created pretty flat and even lighting which made for some pretty good pictures.

Clear Corners: I didn’t do the free clear-corner mod on my stockers but instead I bought some off www.clearlights.com . I will see how these work out for a while, but if they begin to turn yellow I will probably just mod the stockers per Hartman’s directions.

Custom Taillights: I never was a fan of the altezzas on explorers, but at the same time I never liked the look of my stock taillights. The thing I hated most about the stock tails was the AMBER blinkers on them. After seeing ExplorerChic’s write-up on using the candy apple red paint, I figured id give it ago. But I didn’t want to stop there because I wanted to add a little more flair to achieve that custom look. So I also hit the tails with some of that import taillight tint spray.
Directions:
1. Remove taillights from vehicle.
2. Wash the taillights thoroughly with a mild dishwashing soap and water.
3. Dry thoroughly.
4. Mask off the entire taillight except the orange blinker portion. (Use high quality painters’ masking tape -The blue 3M stuff works very well.)
5. Spray 3 coats of Testors Translucent Candy-Apple Red paint over the orange blinker portion of the taillight. Let the paint dry for 15-30 minutes between coats.
6. Let the red paint dry for 12 hours after the final coat. Remove the masking tape.
7. Now carefully mask off the clear backup light portion of the taillights. Use a good sharp razor to trim the tape (An x-acto knife works best). A dull blade can tear the masking tape and fray the ends, causing the tint spray to seep under the masked off area.
8. Spray your coats of tint spray using very thin and even coats. Follow the directions on the can. Wait about 15-30 minutes between coats, and apply as many coats as needed to achieve the level of TINT that YOU want. I went with only 3 coats of the tint-spray on mine because I didn’t want them too dark since my vehicle is somewhat light in color.
9. Let the taillights dry for a good 12 hours before handling.
10. If there are blemishes in the paint or the taillights appear dull, wet sanding can be done to smooth out the finish and remove blemishes. THE PAINT NEEDS TO CURE AT LEAST 48 HOURS BEFORE WETSANDING. Use 1500 or 2000 grit wet sanding paper and follow the direction on the wet sanding paper package. After wet sanding the taillights you will need to polish them up with a quality rubbing compound. I use 3M’s Fine-Cut rubbing compound to remove the wet sanding swirl marks, then I finish up the polishing by applying 3M Finish Restorer. This stuff removes any very fine swirls that may still be present on the surface.
11. After all of this! You can now apply several coats of clear coat. I applied 3 coats of clear coat spray following the instructions on the can, waiting 15 minutes in between coats.
12. After the clear coat has been allowed to dry for at least 48 hours, you do any final wet sanding to remove orange peel texture and runs in the clear coat. Again, follow the directions listed above for wet sanding, and finish them up with a good rubbing compound a nice coat of wax.
13. Put them back on the truck and admire the awesome work you have done!

Here are the pics:
Clear Corners:
ExplorerBuilding01.jpg

ExplorerBuilding08.jpg

Taillights:
ExplorerBuilding02.jpg

ExplorerBuilding11.jpg

ExplorerBuilding13.jpg

Misc:
ExplorerBuilding18.jpg

ExplorerBuilding09.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice truck... nice writeup too

I like that idea, I've been lokking for taillights for minew for some time now, but have been able to find any. This might just work.

Looks awesome!!! I love the way your rig looks now!!!!!

Hey Guys, do you think clear coating a brand new set of clear corners would prevent them from yellowing? I assume they turn yellow because they are made of a cheaper plastic, which gets destroyed by the elements (sun, rain, dirt, etc.). Wouldn't several coats of clear coat help prevent this?

I want to buy a new set from clearcorners.com becuase they're only $35, but I don't want to waste my money on something that will just turn yellow in a few months.

Originally posted by the R
Hey Guys, do you think clear coating a brand new set of clear corners would prevent them from yellowing? I assume they turn yellow because they are made of a cheaper plastic, which gets destroyed by the elements (sun, rain, dirt, etc.). Wouldn't several coats of clear coat help prevent this?

I want to buy a new set from clearcorners.com becuase they're only $35, but I don't want to waste my money on something that will just turn yellow in a few months.

if you keep several coats of wax on them at all times it really helps as well.

Originally posted by the R
I dont know about clearcoating them. I mean it will work to the same effect as keeping them waxed, it just seems that clearcoating would be more effort when the same results could be acheived by keeping some wax on them.
I put a coat of wax on mine before i installed them, and ill just reapply wax everytime i wax the rest of the truck.

BTW, thanks for the compliments guys! The tails took me quite a while to get done. but the end result im really happy with

Love the all red tails =) Good tip on getting them glossy... mine are still kind of clouded over.

Here is a pic of the other 2nd gen tails.

Attachments

• picture009.jpg
    picture009.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,271

Expo 5.0 gave me the idea, his are pretty nice as well.

Attachments

• picture010.jpg
    picture010.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,276

You should paint the black divinding lines on the taillight to match the body color.
EXPO5.0 did that to his and it looks killer!.

Yea, they are actually tail covers he custom cut, which I bought a pair off him. Just had a *little* problem w/ the color =P I'm ordering some new paint this week to color them. And I agree, they are awesome.

Question...

After painting the amber part red, does your signal lights flash red or amber?

it flashes red now :)

didn't read this post before I posted mine ^^ same idea :D

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I've been playing with the idea of paint it too and here's a chopped pic of my rig with red turn signal. What do you guys think??

DSC01253edit.jpg

Looks great.

all red always looks the best =P

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hit em with some tint as well. do the red first and tint em.
for that full custom look :->

Back