Clear tail lights??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clear tail lights???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get clear tailights and keep all your stock bulbs, thats what your suppose to do atleast.

off-road97Xplor said:
You can get clear tailights and keep all your stock bulbs, thats what your suppose to do atleast.

nope, that wont work, as the stock bulbs are all clear... tis the reflectors that change their color....

and JUST AN FYI: ALL CLEARS ARE ILLEGAL, PER Federal UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT CODE, ALL CLEAR lights do not meet the reflector/color requirements of the code

off-road97Xplor said:
Are you JamesT?
yup... not the moderator on EF but a james t nonetheless.....

If the shoe fits..... ;)

goto your local auto store...buy red 1157 bulbs..i beleive for the brakes...blinkers should be 1156 amber or orange...back up im not too sure..probably the 1156 clear!...i have taillights that are completely clear on my 93' ive never seen another explorer with these clear lights...bought em on ebay for $20...they look awesome but the cops hate em'

Yeah, i know Advanced Auto Parts stores carry some red bulbs from APC that should work excellent with your clear tails the stock bulbs will be fine for the backuplights they are clear anyhow....Thats what ive got with mine, they look real nice. Also as for the front, amber bulbs 1156's for blinkers, and 194's for running/parking lights for both sides i belive is what u need.

I have all APC superwhite bulbs in mine to match my "fake" HID look xenon bulbs for headlights looks awesome....all Illegal but cops dont seem to care at all around my parts..not even State Cops...only gotta change em out for inspection hahaa.
And Ya the clear tails on first gens are really rare, ive yet to see another explorer where i live with them! I like the unique factor. good luck with yours.

jimabena74 said:
nope, that wont work, as the stock bulbs are all clear... tis the reflectors that change their color....

and JUST AN FYI: ALL CLEARS ARE ILLEGAL, PER Federal UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT CODE, ALL CLEAR lights do not meet the reflector/color requirements of the code

Why are you always saying that type of stuff? Let these members do what they want to their Ex's...we are all grown men and women here. Lets leave the law out of it. :D

Probably for the same reason that people tell you to be carefull driving during the middle of a snow storm.
I know that they mean well when they say that but one of these times I'm going to ask them; "Do you think I'm so stupid that I wouldnt be carefull in this weather?"

Back