2014 Explorer Sport. Loud POP, then loss of power. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Sport. Loud POP, then loss of power.

Bombpop

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Tuesday while accelerating fairly well, I heard a loud POP sound, and I immediately let off the gas, turned the radio down and listened for more noise. I wasn't sure if it was the road, but looking back, it definitely came from under the hood. I didn't hear any loud noises after the first one.

I was headed into a parking lot anyhow, so I parked immediately after hearing the noise. What I noticed the next time I drove (30 minutes later to get home) were the following things:

- The car sounded like I had a dozen large fans under the hood when I put the pedal down, easily 3 times as loud as it was in the past.

-When I stepped on the gas, I had little to no "umpf".

-The car sounded like it was stuck in a lower gear and not shifting, but getting 50% of the normal acceleration.

-It took a while to automatically shift, and even using the paddle shifters, the car seemed to stall out with power, just plodding along.

I took it into Ford yesterday, they said that the sound now coming from the engine is normal and that they couldn't feel any lack of power. I told them to drive it with their foot mashed to the floor this time.. and the guy came back and said "nope, feels fine". They said all technicians looked at it, can't see or feel a problem. I drove home, and it felt okay, but still not nearly as fast or quick (also, i was driving 25mph in the heavy rains.. so i didnt test it). It seems to have "fixed" itself in the "foot to the floor doesnt do a thing" area.. but it's still woefully underpowered. Again, 2 days ago I put my foot to the floor and all it did was get loud with little power. Today it's slightly more power, and as loud.

This morning on my way up a hill I take every day, I put my foot to the floor and it barely had any of the usual power. I would be able to pass every car, going up hill and do it with authority, and instead today, I watched my gf's car ahead of me, continue to put distance between our two vehicles. Mine just sounded like it wanted to go fast.

They have no idea what the pop sound was I heard, and today..it feels like there's more power.. but still maybe only 65%. It's still loud, and it still takes me to 5500 RPM before it'll shift out of 3rd to 4th. I think I redline at 6500. I mentioned this issue to my gearhead coworker and he immediately said the following terms (pardon my ignorance):
-Wastegate Actuator
-Blowoff Valve
-Bypass Regulator
He said "you have twin turbo right? I bet the diaphragm flipped" .. something like that. I mentioned this to the dealership, and nothing came of it..so maybe that's not it.

I have less power, it's louder.. and I heard a POP right before the power loss. Ford said i can bring it in as soon as it happens again. But it's constantly happening, they just don't see it somehow? Also, the mechanic said "sometimes things pop off, then reheat themselves back on.." But that's all he said. Any ideas at all? What needs to be looked at? Can i get in and "unflip" something if that's the case? Did Ford overlook something? This is all under warranty, so there's no mechanic haggling issues at all.

Anything you guys can think that i can tell the ford dudes to check? I was there 5 hours yesterday and all i got accomplished was my oil changed :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crawl underneath and look at the intercooler boot. I'd bet you $100 that the boot/intercooler pipe popped off or became loose. It has happened to others because the clamp wasn't tight enough.

Crawl underneath and look at the intercooler boot. I'd bet you $100 that the boot/intercooler pipe popped off or became loose. It has happened to others because the clamp wasn't tight enough.

I feel like an idiot, but I don't know what i'd even be looking for? Can you find me a picture perhaps?

Also: today after work, car sitting in garage, a puddle of water was underneath it. Moments ago leaving a friends house, another puddle of water. 100% water.. nothing else, no color, odor, no viscosity, seems like condensation run off maybe?

Is the intercooler something that would get loose and then the Ford mechanics would miss?

Edit- on the way home tonight, I tried the paddle shifters, and in 5th gear, going uphill, I stepped on it, and it was like I didn't touch the peddle at all, almost felt exactly idle at the current speed.

An intercooler looks like a large radiator. I believe it is in front of the radiator (don't quote me, I don't have the sport). Get on your back and crawl under the front. You should see what looks like a large radiator with 2 large (thick/wide) pipes. Generally the bottom one I believe can pop off so you lose most of your boost because the air is escaping instead of building up turbo pressure.

Parts diagram..

Intercooler is the radiator looking thing between HB2 and HB3. Bottom left is the elbow pipe that I believe can loosen and pop off. You want to check the boots that connect the pipe to the intercooler. There should be a heavy duty rubber boot with clamps holding them tight. Check with a screw driver that they are tight and none popped off.

RenderIllustration.ashx

Here is a thread discussing what seems like a similar issue. This may not be your issue but it's immediately what I thought of.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413499&highlight=intercooler+pipe

Start at the throttle body and move in reverse order tightening every clamp you come to. Follow them to the turbos and tighten them also. You only need to worry about the pressure side, the intake side isn't going to be blown off. Most every clamp on our sport was loose to very loose it was a matter of time before one blew off.

All,

Wait until you see how glaringly obvious this was... HOW IN THE WORLD... did the Ford mechanics miss this?
side note: Colorado Springs Chapel Hills Phil Long Ford in Colorado. I'm tightening this up and heading over there to show them this right now.

Wow guys, talk about amateur hour over there!

irpmXix.jpg

DkMq4Dg.jpg

Thanks for your help guys. Is there any long term issues that may come of this?

Bombpop - Wait, why are you going to show the dealer that, everything checked out fine from them lol.

It's pretty sad that people on the forums know more then many of the techs that are out there (not all, just many..)

Glad you found it and there should be no long term issues. If you were driving around like that for weeks/months, that is a different story but a few days.. maybe a little dust got inside but that's all.

Don't be concerned.

You need to go over the Service Managers head to the Dealer Principal and also write a letter to Ford. The dealerships get rated by Ford and complaints do accumulate and eventually hurt them. That is not only neglect its unsafe. I would have waited after work for the tech and had a chat out behind the woodshed about his inability to do his job.

like blwnsmoke said, unfiltered air, hope you don't live in a dusty area.

Its hard to come across good service technicians who are passionate about their work, most of the time now people are in it for the paycheck and a lot of "old schoolers" are getting filtered out by the new kids. "No CEL, no problem."

A lot of good people on this forum.

All,

Wait until you see how glaringly obvious this was... HOW IN THE WORLD... did the Ford mechanics miss this?
side note: Colorado Springs Chapel Hills Phil Long Ford in Colorado. I'm tightening this up and heading over there to show them this right now.

Wow guys, talk about amateur hour over there!

irpmXix.jpg

DkMq4Dg.jpg

Thanks for your help guys. Is there any long term issues that may come of this?
Ummmm, your note is inaccurate. Took you 2 seconds to find it after Blwnsmoke told you what to look for.:D

Had a motorcycle that would do the same thing.

Okay true, he did tell me to go look...so he gets the credit. Maybe he can charge Ford for his service?

While i understand that I could go over the head of the Service Manager, I am not that kind of person. I went in to talk to the service tech first, he saw the pictures heard my story and complaints and said "I need to get my boss". His boss, the Service Manager insisted on hearing my whole story, walked me through their processes, and how the mechanic missed 2 important steps:
1. If you cannot find what's wrong, come get me
2. I need to drive the car if you can't feel/hear what the customer is experiencing

So twice the mechanic screwed up, and the Service Manager said "I am embarrassed we handled your issue this way".

I felt like I got what I wanted. Which was a simple apology, and for them to make sure their staff does a better job from here on out. i realize i could be a jerk, and I had every right to.. but I don't think that would make me feel good after leaving.

Your right to handle it the way you feel comfortable doing.

My pet peeve is that Service Department arrogance and condescending attitude towards customers especially those who might know what their talking about. You had a legit concern that at the very least warranted a tech popping the hood and having a quick look at those hoses knowing it's an EcoBoost with those specific troubleshooting steps.

Im big on holding people accountable as opposed to them saying sorry to your face then at the next coffee break they all have a good laugh.

Hit em where it hurts.

Figuratively of course!

From the look of your pictures, these ecoboost engines really need a catch can.

i don't have a turbo but why would this hose coming lose effect performance? I would think the engine would "breath" better with the air filter disconnected.

i don't have a turbo but why would this hose coming lose effect performance? I would think the engine would "breath" better with the air filter disconnected.
The hose from the turbo to the intake (read boost pressure) came loose, not from the air filter. No boost, no performance.

^^^ x2

Air pressure is what spools turbo as stated. Being that pipe was removed/popped off, there is zero air pressure therefore no turbo boost which equates to basically a limp engine or otherwise known as a base 3.5 non eco lol.

This exact same thing happened to me tonight. I reconnected the hose and tightened the clamps and it runs fine now.

irpmXix.jpg

DkMq4Dg.jpg

Back