Cloyes vs Ford OEM timing chain kit for 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cloyes vs Ford OEM timing chain kit for 4.0

dcm0123

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
99&01 Sprt, 04&05 Explr
Purchased a 1999 explorer sport SOHC 4X4 4.0. 94K miles, no rust to fix up for my son. Previous owner said Ford dealer told him the timing chain skipped a tooth. Cranks but does not start. Undecided if I should go for a used late model motor or just install chains, guides and tensioners. Looking at forum it costs about $900 if you use Ford OEM timing parts which makes is close to the cost of a late model used engine. Or I can buy for $400 a Cloyes set up from Rock Auto (plus gaskets).

If I decide to fix the motor, I will reset the timing using the set up tools and run a compression check looking for bent valves before I buy parts. Reading the forums I have seen conflicting evidence if the valves can be bent when the chain goes.

Has anyone had any experience with the Cloyes parts? Are they as durable as the redesigned Ford OEM parts?

Can anyone please help?

I purchased my kit on E-bay. I beleive it was 390.00 shipped. It had everything including ford oem tensioners and volumne reduction stick, also balance shaft chain and guide. Very good quality too.

Back