• Register Today It's free!

Clunk when accelerating

Dore

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi everyone, my 2000 Explorer Sport is making a clunk jerk when I accelerate normally right after a stop or when going uphill. Bumps in road make it clunk and Jerk more. Seems to be getting worse with all the slushy stuff on the road. Was told by a Mechanic that my U-Joints and drive shaft are fine, Not much play. But when put on hoist and driven slow with shifting from Drive to Reverse. He heard noise in my Transfer case, But no clunk or jerk. I think I'm being swindled because I'm just a girl that doesn't know anything. Please help me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first guess would have been U-Joints, but since he said those are fine we can rule those out. When you hear this sound do you feel any difference? Like do you feel like 4WD is engaging then disengaging?

My front differential has a shot rubber mount. It will clunk at deceleration, but my truck is a AWD so I have power to the differential all the time, different from a 4WD that has it only when "needed" (if in Auto mode).

Double post deleted

There are so many things it could be and that won't show up by going from P to D and R on a hoist.

Ball joints, control arm bushes, shocks, shock bushes, sway bar mounts or link pin bushes, diff mounts.

Back