clunking noise from the suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clunking noise from the suspension

saleensr

Reaction score
City, State
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
Anyone with a 95-2001 series explorer experience this kind of problem??? Every time I accelerate or come to a stop I would hear this clunking noise like something is loose, or possibly somethin wrong with the suspension. I have had it looked at and no problems were found. Goin over speed bumps is another thing, I would hear a loud snap noise sometimes when goin over them.

Also theres this other problem, sometimes when I start steering i'll hear a simliar type of clunking noise.
I still think it has somethin to do with the suspension, but have no clue to what it might be specifically. I don't konw if this has to do with the 30x9.5 tires or the brush/grille guard I have added to the truck in the past 2-3 years. Anyone experiencing the same problem??? Any ideas????

Thanks in advance..

Thanks in advance......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey robert, i took off the shield that covers the torsion bar adjuster. I had a look to see if the kevlar had fallen off on both sides. I only see the side facing the shield worn. Now im not that mechanically inclined so would changing this part eliminate the clunking noise? I figured that its the other side of that part that were worried about right?? or no?

Thanks..

Also, anyone have that noise coming from steering?? it also has a similar clunking noise... Could it be some bearings that have worn out???

I can't say for sure if it will eliminate your clunking or not. I do know that it fixed mine. When the patch wears off the top of the adjuster, the metal adjuster bangs against the metal socket that it rides in creating a metal to metal clank every time I went over a bump. When I looked at mine, I could see the patch getting squished out all around the edges. When I removed it, I found that the patch was gone from the center of the adjuster showing metal.

Attachments

• 010223-02.jpg
    010223-02.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 428

i dont know if our noises where the same, but i described mine as a clunking during the same situations. i had it checked too, then i put some rancho rs 5000's and i got an alignment, with no intentions of fixing the noise and it's gone...i dont think this helps you really, i was just answering your question about if anybody else was experiencing it...

frat guy - Your noise could have either been caused by a bad shock abosorber or shock bushing. It is also possible that your torsion bar adjusters are bad and that your stiffer shocks are preventing the adjuster from bouncing up and down like it did with your worn shocks. In either case, if the noise is gone that is a good thing.

I have been fighting that same nosie on my 96 for over 5 years, but I think the link that Robert posted has been the problem the whole time, I have spent a lot of money trying to find that nosie, it is really bad in the summer.
THANK YOU ROBERT.

G.T.

Back