• Register Today It's free!

Clutch Fan issue

93Expo4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
The fan blade on my clutch fan is cracking, ive got the new blade but i cant get the bolt broke loose. like its rusted on. can i just buy a new water pump and assembly? since the water pump i have now slowly leaks anyways. ive thought of heating the bolt up but that would ruin the bearing for the water pump. ive used the tool with 1\2 breaker bars hooked to both the pulley holder and the fan wrench peice. any help would be greatly appreciated! thinking of possibly going to a pull a part and snagging the assembly from another ex?

Make sure you're turning the fan clutch nut in the proper direction. It should be a standard right hand thread on a '93 and the fan shroud should have a notice on it under the "CAUTION FAN" wording that says it's a right hand thread on the fan clutch.

It's usually easiest to hold the short tool on the fan bolts with a breaker bar, and just use the longer tool as a wrench to loosen the fan clutch nut, using gloves or a cloth or something to keep the edge from digging into your hand so you can really torque it.

You can apply heat with a hair dryer or heat gun or something, there's no need to light it up with a torch, just getting the nut warmer than the inside threaded part on the water pump can expand it slightly to make removal a little easier, but generally it just takes a few good tries and eventually it will turn.

Some minor cracking is pretty common on the factory fans, if it never gets worse a lot of people have just kept them on. The 10-blade factory replacement is good, but the 9-blade Dorman replacement seems to just crack worse than the factory fan and is more of a safety risk. The Dorman blade does have a lifetime warranty though, so if you got it from a parts store and keep the receipt, you can just keep getting it replaced every time it cracks.

yeah it is a right hand thread, what are my options for an electric fan and get rid of the clutch fan? what all has to be removed? id just hook it up to a toggle switch. mine has cracked pretty bad and ive epoxyed it for now now. has lasted 2 months or so

Back