cold air intake ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cold air intake ?

Reaction score
City, State
seymour,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
hello i have a question about cold air intakes , so this is what i think i know . cold air = dense air = more oxygen= more power with less fuel is that correct? this is my question could i use my A/C and somehow make a duct to go to my stock air box to get cold air into the engine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Running the A/C takes at least 5hp. You would probably come out at the same power level you were at with your A/C off.

One of those deals where there is no "free ride". It takes power to make the same power.

well what i was thinking is that it would give me more mpg not power
cold air = less fuel

You are creating drag on the engine by running the A/C compressor which gives you less MPG. Again any benefit is outweighed by the parasitic loss of the a/c compressor. If it worked the manufacturers would do it to increase their MPG ratings.

what if i used dry ice in the bottom of air box ? would that help?

what if i used dry ice in the bottom of air box ? would that help?

Drag racers use dry ice to cool their intake air, but their runs only last seconds. It works, but it needs to be constantly replenished.

This is not a good idea. First let me start by saying the stock air intake is a cold air intake. There are no gains to be made here.

Second, there are two things wrong with the idea to plumb into the air box. 1, you would loose power by running the A/C pump and gain nothing with the colder air. 2. you would no longer have working vents as the engine would suck more air than the fan can pump. On top of that, it would be very loud.

thank you 2stroke but i like ricks version better , yours sounds like a scolding sorry. but it is informative,.

This is not a good idea. First let me start by saying the stock air intake is a cold air intake. There are no gains to be made here.

x2. Pretty much all air intakes on all cars are cold air intakes. The engineers do that for performance reasons. The only reason you'd want to change it is to allow for less restriction. The only real way to do that on an Explorer is to cut a hole in the hood or fender and suck air in from there. Unless you're doing other mods like exhaust headers and a cat-back system, there likely won't be any measurable improvement.

You'll see people stuck the cone-style filter on where the airbox goes and that's fine, it does flow more. However, I'd only do that on a vehicle that sees a lot of highway miles. On an offroad vehicle or one that gets driven in the city, there's not much airflow under the hood and intake air temps are likely to go up. More flow of less dense air isn't worth it, especially for the cost of the kit.

You don't have to take my word for it, Kurtz Kustomz did all the testing when they released their kit and I talked with them last year about it, this is an exact quote of what they had to say:

Back in the early days of KKM, we tested under hood air temperatures on Ranger and Explorer models. When driving down the road, the under hood air temp will average around 4-5 degrees warmer than outside air. This can be attributed to the fact that the under hood area has plenty of fresh airflow.
It should also be noted that the vacuum operated heat damper door is notorious for leaking and drawing in hot air from the exhaust manifold stove box. All that to say that simply mounting the kit as shown on the website is much more efficient than the stock system and no other modifications are required.

All of the tests were performed back in ‘97 on our local main thoroughfares which are 35 and 45 mph in the months of April or May. If you have a lot of stop and go driving, a kit like this may not be ideal for you, but is still probably better than stock.
As for mileage, we have had all sort of good reports over the years. Some of the reports of 4mpg better mileage seem almost ridiculous, but if they had a dirty filter and leaking damper door, it would make sense. Most come in around 1 to 1.5 mpg better, not really anything worth advertising.

With fuel injection, reducing air flow restriction will have no effect on power output except at wide open throttle when more power will be produced.
The computer and mass airflow sensor will adjust gas injection to the available mass air available.
Similarly, a dirty air filter will have little effect except at WOT, as the available airflow is compensated for by the computer.
This is not the case for carburetor systems.

I've had a cone filter on 4 Explorers...None of them had anything close to decent gas mileage...If that is your goal..drive something else.
I might suggest a gear swap. Find out your axle code & see what gears you have

Back