Cold Start Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Start Issues

TechGuru

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
Since the nights have gotten cooler I have started experiencing a problem the first start of the day. It will start right up, run for 3 seconds then die. Start again right up and runs a little rough then smooths out. Also sometimes these first starts have been real slow like there is a huge load/too much compression on the starter.

Currently have E85 in the tank been running it all summer no issue. Planning to switch to regular next fill since cooler weather is starting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start with the IAC. Mine was dying on cold starts unless I gave it some gas, and that was the problem.

Good Luck,
Jake

I would start with the IAC. Mine was dying on cold starts unless I gave it some gas, and that was the problem.

Good Luck,
Jake
Somewhere around 2002-2004, the IAC was eliminated altogether as they went to drive by wire. My '04 has no IAC.

I'd also look at your coolant temperature sensor
Classic

Just thought I would put that out there

ok, so after running it down to the low fuel warning light coming on then filling up with ethanol free gas I started it up the next morning.

It didn't die this time which allowed me to hear what is really going on. It's misfiring a cyl until it warms up. Time for new spark plugs? About 70K on them...

Being a wasted spark ignition I don't think it would be a wire or coil because that would cause a double misfire.

I am concerned about maybe a leaking injector dumping fuel in a cyl over night then it misfires until the cyl drys out... I wonder this because some starts have been slow and hard on the starter like a cyl has way too much compression.

ok, so after running it down to the low fuel warning light coming on then filling up with ethanol free gas I started it up the next morning.

It didn't die this time which allowed me to hear what is really going on. It's misfiring a cyl until it warms up. Time for new spark plugs? About 70K on them...

Being a wasted spark ignition I don't think it would be a wire or coil because that would cause a double misfire.

I am concerned about maybe a leaking injector dumping fuel in a cyl over night then it misfires until the cyl drys out... I wonder this because some starts have been slow and hard on the starter like a cyl has way too much compression.
if you are concerned about a leaky injector, have your oil sent to Blackstone Laboratories. they can tell you if your oil has more fuel in it than it should.

***SOLVED***

It was bad spark plugs.

sparkplug.png

Only the driver side looked like this. I was thinking, it might be a good idea to swap the polarity at the coil at around 35,000 miles in order to even the wear.

Gap on that old spark plug looks a bit too wide, but also wondering what is that white residue,
coolant contamination maybe, any opinions?

Do let know if you do the CoilPack polarity swap & how well that works?
I'm not losing any. Could be from running a lot of E85 maybe?

Back