Color Choices Disappearing

VinceL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I was hanging out at Ford's site this morning doing a little build and price on the 'sometime in the future' explorer for the wife, and I noticed that the color choices are down to 6 colors. I jumped over to the Edge and it has only 4 color choices. The MKX is down to 7 color choices.

I was wondering, as the dealer stock is depleted, do they remove the colors from the website?

I have been keeping an eye out for the 2012's to hit the main website, and wonder if they time is coming for that to happen sooner rather than later.

Happy driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When we ordered our 2011 at the end of May we wanted the Bordeaux Red but we were told that they were no longer using that color. The dealer still shows it a color on their website.

Changes for 2012?

I was hanging out at Ford's site this morning doing a little build and price on the 'sometime in the future' explorer for the wife, and I noticed that the color choices are down to 6 colors. I jumped over to the Edge and it has only 4 color choices. The MKX is down to 7 color choices.

I was wondering, as the dealer stock is depleted, do they remove the colors from the website?

I have been keeping an eye out for the 2012's to hit the main website, and wonder if they time is coming for that to happen sooner rather than later.

Happy driving.

I noticed the same thing yesteday. Red Candy, Kona Blue, and Bordeaux arent there anymore. Could be for a number of reasons:

In April one dealer told me I couldnt order Red Candy because the company that supplies them with that color was affected by the Japan earthquake.

On Friday, i spoke to another dealer and when trying to quote me some prices for the 2012 he noticed new colors in his system. He saw Blue Pearl and Ginger Ale. He wasnt sure if those are new colors or just new names for the existing ones.

He also said the Rapid Spec packages were changed. There were now 4 choices instead of 3. He said today he would receive more info regarding these changes for 2012. I'll relay once i speak with him. Anyone else hear about color changes. I hope the Blue Pearl is more a dark blue rather then the purplely looking Kona.

They drop and add colors at model year change...

I noticed the same thing yesteday. Red Candy, Kona Blue, and Bordeaux arent there anymore. Could be for a number of reasons:
On Friday, i spoke to another dealer and when trying to quote me some prices for the 2012 he noticed new colors in his system. He saw Blue Pearl and Ginger Ale. He wasnt sure if those are new colors or just new names for the existing ones.
I believe that I read on one of the threads that someone had ordered a 2012 in Ginger Ale. Colours are always changing as are the names. I think they must have someone dedicated to coming up with these new names. ;)

Here is an update:

Late availability for the 2.0L EcoBoost Engine. Ordering begins with 2012MY

AWD (K8B, K8D, K8F) models have been built out for the model year and are no longer available to order

Kona Blue (L6), Red Candy (U6), Tuxedo Black (UH), and Bordeaux Reserve (FQ) paints have been built out and are no longer available to order

My understanding is that the factory has exhausted it's paint supply in those colors for this MY.

The same web page lists the wait time (as of Mid-June) on the '12 Explorer as 12-14 weeks.

Here is an update:

AWD (K8B, K8D, K8F) models have been built out for the model year and are no longer available to order

Kona Blue (L6), Red Candy (U6), Tuxedo Black (UH), and Bordeaux Reserve (FQ) paints have been built out and are no longer available to order

My understanding is that the factory has exhausted it's paint supply in those colors for this MY.

The same web page lists the wait time (as of Mid-June) on the '12 Explorer as 12-14 weeks.

No mention of what new colors will be?

2012 models now come with a choice of the Ecoboost or the V6?

Here is an update:

What web page is that, if you can say (without having to kill me afterward :) )

The dark blue pearl color is the same as what can be found on the new F-150's. I ordered a 2012 Ex last week with this color and I looked at an F-150 on the lot to be sure I liked it. It's a nice dark blue color.

The dark blue pearl color is the same as what can be found on the new F-150's. I ordered a 2012 Ex last week with this color and I looked at an F-150 on the lot to be sure I liked it. It's a nice dark blue color.

Just to be clear, it doesn’t have the purplish tinge that the Kona Blue has?

Just to be clear, it doesn’t have the purplish tinge that the Kona Blue has?

No purple tinge in the new F-150 that I looked at. I was told it was the exact same color. If my Ex shows up with a purple tinge someone else will be buying it. lol

Back