• Register Today It's free!

color choice on explorers

I bleed Ford Blue

Reaction score
City, State
North Olmsted
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Anyone unhappy with the color choices available on the explorers? On the sport there is only 7 colors to choose from, black, white, silver, grey, ruby red, blue, and burgundy velvet. To me the choices they give us seem muted and understated along with drab, dull, and boring. I understand that the explorer is first a large SUV and a family car so they are supposed to be bland and boring and blend in with the 1,000's of other SUV's on the road, but you would think Ford would at least give a few bright vibrant colors at least on the sport model, and up and coming explorer ST.

I chose the blue one for one reason only, it's the least objectionable to me, but I don't like the color. I thought about ruby red, but the edge I traded in for it was ruby red so I didn't want another one the same color. If I had money to burn, I would have it repainted a color of my choice, like maybe the lightning blue on the mustang or the old flame blue from the F150's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, not unhappy at all. I prefer the 'drab' Ingot Silver Sport I chose.

I love my Magnetic Grey, the color gets compliments all the time.

Anyone unhappy with the color choices available on the explorers? On the sport there is only 7 colors to choose from, black, white, silver, grey, ruby red, blue, and burgundy velvet. To me the choices they give us seem muted and understated along drab, dull, and boring. I understand that the explorer is first a large SUV and a family car so they are supposed to be bland and boring and blend in with the 1,000's of other SUV's on the road, but you would think Ford would at least give a few bright vibrant colors at least on the sport model, and up and coming explorer ST.

I agree with you, in fact, the civilian model offering the most colors is the XLT (eight colors). I don't understand why, for example, there is no green color of any kind, no gold/champagne, no beige, no bright red, or why they only offer one sort of medium blue, which is kind of a neither here not there tone . And it's not like they don't have the paints, considering that the PIU is offered in no fewer than 17 (seventeen) colors, among them six different blues, two browns, four silver/grays, two beige hues etc. And this is just RPO colors, I'm not even talking about DSO. Oddly enough, there is no RPO greens there either, nor even a fire engine red, except by DSO.

Green? Does anyone still buy green trucks?? They go with what sells.

Love my White Gold and have had several compliments on it. Unfortunately, it was only a 1-year colour. I tend to stay away from the darker colours so the vehicle 'appears' to stay cleaner looking for a longer time.;)

Peter

I agree with you, in fact, the civilian model offering the most colors is the XLT (eight colors). I don't understand why, for example, there is no green color of any kind, no gold/champagne, no beige, no bright red, or why they only offer one sort of medium blue, which is kind of a neither here not there tone . And it's not like they don't have the paints, considering that the PIU is offered in no fewer than 17 (seventeen) colors, among them six different blues, two browns, four silver/grays, two beige hues etc. And this is just RPO colors, I'm not even talking about DSO. Oddly enough, there is no RPO greens there either, nor even a fire engine red, except by DSO.
Green was offered earlier on. FYI, here is what was available in 2011; Bordeaux Reserve Red Metallic, Kona Blue Metallic, Red Candy Metallic Tinted Clearcoat, Gold Leaf Metallic, Golden Bronze Metallic, White Platinum Metallic Tri-coat, Sterling Gray Metallic, Ingot Silver Metallic and Tuxedo Black Metallic. My 2014 MKT was Crystal Champagne.

Peter

Back