Converting Non-powered sub to powered? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting Non-powered sub to powered?

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
Not explorer related.

But is this possible. I have a subwoofer that isn't powered and when I hook it up to my receiver it doesn't do anything. I'm assuming that it's because the receiver is only sending a non-boosted signal. Does this sound right? If so, how do I make the sub powered?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I'm still a newb to car audio, but I know that you need to add an amp to boost the signal to the sub.

Yeah to have to have an amp to power the subwoofer. You can't run it off the headunit.

Cool. Could I get an amp from radioshack? If so, what kind would I need to buy? Thanks for the help guys.

Wal-Mart would be better, they'll have Jensen, Sony, and maybe Pioneer. The amp depends on the sub.

Oh i'm not looking for something high quality. I just want it to work. What would the price range for these things be?

100-300 i am guessing. you might want to check sears as well.

Holy crap. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing here. i just want something to power the sub. I already have one of those really expensive receiver things. I just want something I can run a rca cable to from my receiver and have the subwoofer wires plug into it.

BTW I am talking about my HOME system.

You can probabky pickup a descent amp from radio shack for you home system. I dunno any prices. You may want to get a crossover though to filter out the high frequencies so that you don't ruin the sub with the highs. They have the crossovers for about $13 for a 2 way.

Thanks for the input Casey. I will go check it out.

BTW will I need a crossover if my receiver had a dedicated "subwoofer out" plug?

Jason,
Are you referring to the single pair of sub RCAs on a home theater receiver. If so, receivers usually don't power a home theater sub. That is b/c a lot of people don't use a seperate sub. My fronts have 12s in them, so I don't use a sub. I would think that you are still looking at a couple of hundred to power it. The sub output on the receiver will already be crossed over to only send out lows.

Robb

Well actually the sub output on mine is just one rca plug that's labeled "Audio Out Sub Woofer".

I suppose it just sends a signal and not power. So your saying if I want to power it I will spend a couple hundred? Because there is a sub there at radioshack twice as big as mine and it's powered for only like 100 bucks.

Jason,
You are right on target. That plug is simply a low freq. signal with no power. I was a bit off on my prices (I haven't priced any home theater stuff in a couple of years) and am unfamilar with Radio shack "Optimus" pricing. Powered subs do make wiring easier, but you will have to place the sub near an outlet.

Robb

Want kind of sub is this? I have two 12s on my home system. One is a radio shack (ok quit laughing now), It has a pass through. You use the speaker out form the reciver - to the sub - out of the sub to the main speakers. If you do need an outboard amp to power the sub. I don't know if radio shack will have that, un less you want like a PA amp or a second reciver. You might want to check out www.partsexpress.com they have a lot of home therate stuff.

Ok well I have a second receiver and I tried that. No go. I ran an RCA cable from the "sub out" to the left side "cd aux/in" on the second receiver. And I attached the sub wires to the second receiver as the left side speaker. Nothing happened. So I guess I will check out all the different stores and see what I can find.

Woo Hoo! Got it to work. I had to enable the subwoofer option in the set up mode on the first receiver. Plenty of bump now.

Back