Switch stock sub amp for aftermarket, which wires do I tap into? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switch stock sub amp for aftermarket, which wires do I tap into?

97SHOgt

Reaction score
This is a real quick question that I'm assuming has an easy answer. I just bought a JL 250/1 amp to power my sub. I'm getting rid of the stock amp. My question is, do I tap into the rear speaker wires, or do I tap into the signal going into the stock amp? The reason I ask is because I know I've read that it sends different signals to the speakers, and the sub. Like it doesn't send any bass signals to the speakers or something. I need to know because it will decide what RCA adapter I buy. A quick answer would be great. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

use the wires going into the stock amp, they should be exactly what you need

In my Budget Bass project, I tapped wires from the out of the OEM amp, to add an amp and sub to my subless OEM system...

th_106_0691.jpg

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/106_0691.jpg

One more question, can I tap into the remote turn on wire for the factory amp? Then I would have to run that wire from the head unit back. I could put it right in front of the amp. Thanks!

I tapped into the factory remote by the factory amp, although it is only 5V. I used the PAC OEM-2 to convert the 5V to a 12V with delay.

That link I posted above says it will convert to 12V. Good to here I can just tap in there. Will save me more wiring. Thanks!

Back