coolant leak!!! HELP!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

coolant leak!!! HELP!!!

I may have to check into that stuff you tried. Yeah, I am getting all the items and tools I need together.. along with my camera.. So I may document this step by step. This is the first time that I have done something like pulling off the Intake Manifold.. but i am confident i can do it. Tore everything else off the EX except for the engine so why stop! lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been chasing an antifreeze smell for months, and finally found it last weekend. Mine's leaking from the lower intake behind the thermostat housing- almost impossible to see. I was able to see wet stains from a very slow leak that's been intermittent for about 8 months. It finally got enough of a leak to lose some water, had to add about 1/3 gallon to the overflow tank.

My question is this: have any of you also had a P0174 code along with this leak? I can't picture this gasket, is it in a place that would allow the water to be leaking inside the intake port? All I know is that within the last two weeks I've got a much stronger smell of antifreeze, constant P0174 codes, and the engine has TONS of extra low rpm power. It just jumps when I step on the gas, a totally different truck now. I'm thinking that possibly it's injecting some water into the intake and causing some wierd lean codes???

does the felpro gasket set work pretty good as solving a lower intake gasket leak?

i got the felpro gasket and it solved the problem of my lower intake manifold leak.

:thumbsup:

being able to do it with instructions is going to depend on how mechanically inclined you really are. i did mine with instructions. but the instructions i had stunk and i ended up just doing it with out them.

:rolleyes: did not relise that when i quoted that member... the date was months ago ...@$% it ! :eek:

i got the felpro gasket and it solved the problem of my lower intake manifold leak.

:thumbsup:

the ends on the felpro gasket are diffrent from the factory gasket.......is that just the area you have to use the rtv to make up for uncovered area. Also does anyone know the torque specs for the lower intake manifold, and the upper intake manifold

I just experienced the intake manifold leak on a 94 explorer. The hole was so small it wasn't evident without a pressure test. The local parts store sold me a complete gasket set for manifold, valve covers, plenuim, It did not come with injector O rings. If your parts supplier suggests new improved gaskets make sure they have the valley pan type gaskets. mark all your electrical and vacumm lines, tie the A/C compressor up towards the front. I used my hood latch, I seperated the upper and lower plenuim, I washed the injectors in hot soapy water, I ccleaned the gasket surface with a sharp razor scraper "DO NOT GOUGE THE SURFACES OF THE INTAKE". I used a brown buff disc and used a low RPM just so to clean any gasket material from the surface. I used brake clean to make sure all gasket surfaces were free of oils, I also used a very thin coat of copper RTV sealant on on the engine and the head mounting surface, I also put a little extra where the head and the engine meet. I believe the torque for the manifold was torqued to 19 Lbs.
I changed the heater hose and the molded hoses for I used 1/2 inch hose and covered the little crack of the charcoal filter. Electrical connectors are very brittle use extreme caution so they do not break, most of the connectors are no brainers just pay attention to the way they are routed. If you don't have a weep hole in your thermostat make sure you heat soak the motor and check the anti-freeze. Good luck and if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them if I can.

intake gaskets on a ford explorer isnt bad to do but not to be taken lightly. deff not a job for the faint of heart. being a tradesman you will understand the importance of clenliness doing this job and orginization. with a little knowledge ie. haynes manual or eqivilent ( the parts places here have mitchell on demand for free use) its fairly straight forward job. use your digital camera and take your time.

well I ended up getting mine done during the week of thanksgiving, and it solved my coolant leak:D, lol now I have a crack in my radiator and my driver side door handle is so loose it won't open the door from the outside. Oh well 1 problem down more to go, thanks for the info

theres always somthing to be fixed lol... btw ROLL TIDE.. good luck with the rest. im a mechanic so feel free to msg me for info

Back