Coolant Leak! In middle of Explorer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Leak! In middle of Explorer!

jstickney83

Reaction score
City, State
Lockport, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
I have a 2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6L V8 4x4. I just replaced the Radiator, Transmission Lines, Suspension, CV Axles, Intermediate Drive Shaft and as I went to get it inspected and an alignment the Intermediate E-Brake cable snapped and it started pissing Radiator Fluid from the middle of my Explorer. The exact location is still a mystery to me. The puddle location suggests it is between the Transmission and Fuel Tank. I cannot for the life of me locate this leak. I can't find the location of the Auxiliary Heating system lines and I would have assumed if that was leaking it would be closer to the rear wheels. Any help would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front heater leak.dashboard removal is a mandatory

In the case of heater core, leak usually located approximated beneath the center console handrest.

In the case of heater core, leak usually located approximated beneath the center console handrest.
Okay, so I put it on the lift and had my son start it up and engage the different gears. It took a minute but the leak is definitely coming from the front somewhere. I can only describe it in a way that it's leaking from some point behind the engine but above the transmission. Its leaking onto the top of the transmission then running down the top and towards the rear of the transmission and finally pouring onto the floor between the transmission and fuel tank. I originally thought that a line was leaking that ran from the right front passenger side to the rear left driver's side where the auxiliary heating unit is. I no longer agree with my original idea but I can't rule it out yet because nothing is leaking or pooling around the engine bay. I can't smell anything from any of the vents inside the vehicle. I'm fairly confident you are 100% correct with your response. Can you elaborate on the location and how to get to it so I can confirm its the issue?

Just bypass the heater thru the engine bay and check if leak stops.the other option is to take the dashboard out and to see the heater condition visually.

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6L V8 4x4. I just replaced the Radiator, Transmission Lines, Suspension, CV Axles, Intermediate Drive Shaft and as I went to get it inspected and an alignment the Intermediate E-Brake cable snapped and it started pissing Radiator Fluid from the middle of my Explorer. The exact location is still a mystery to me. The puddle location suggests it is between the Transmission and Fuel Tank. I cannot for the life of me locate this leak. I can't find the location of the Auxiliary Heating system lines and I would have assumed if that was leaking it would be closer to the rear wheels. Any help would be much appreciated.
Get it pressure tested. I've got a dollar on the thermostat control module.

Back