• Register Today It's free!

Correct way to engage 4WD

jonlax

Reaction score
City, State
Bensalem, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 xlt
This may seem like a stupid question but i really do not want to mess anything up in the gear box. I have an auto 99 explorer sport. I want to make sure i am not going to blow any trannys out when switching it over to 4WD. I used to have a manual tranny jeep so all i did was press the clutch in the pop it in 4WD. Now i have an auto and do not want to put it in 4WD with out knowing how to do it properly. I was guessing that i would have to put it in park then engage it. HELP A GUY OUT i really want to take her back in the woods and test the system out.

Thanks, Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can shift into 4 High on the fly up to about 55mph, the slower probably the better though. To shift into 4 Low you have to stop and put it in neutral with your foot on the brake.

Your truck has the 4Auto, 4HI, 4Lo settings if you have a 97-01 Explorer. You can shift on the fly up to 25 MPH. If you need 4WD and your going 55, then you shouldn't be driving that vehicle. I've heard from some Ford mechanics that engaging the 4WD at speeds up to 25 MPH causes premature wear of the hub assemblies. I'm not sure if its true or not.

For the earlier models anyway it says you can shift into 4x4 at "any normal driving speed" however i agree that if you need 4x4 you shouldnt be doing 55. I usually try to slow down, and let it coast while its engaging.

Blee1099 said:
Your truck has the 4Auto, 4HI, 4Lo settings if you have a 97-01 Explorer. You can shift on the fly up to 25 MPH. If you need 4WD and your going 55, then you shouldn't be driving that vehicle. I've heard from some Ford mechanics that engaging the 4WD at speeds up to 25 MPH causes premature wear of the hub assemblies. I'm not sure if its true or not.

It's my understanding that on Gen1 X's that had actual hubs that you shouldn't shift on the fly going over 25MPH because it is hard on the hubs but Gen2 Xs at least the later ones don't have hubs and you can shift on the fly going much faster.

my manual states that it can be shifted at "normal driving speeds" like I previously stated.

Back