Could you guys give me some advise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Could you guys give me some advise

Sign of Cobra

Reaction score
City, State
Nowata, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
If I install a 5.0 in my 98 Sport {stock engine}, will I see any performance increase? Its for the sake of having the V8 in there, the sound, etc. Just a sweet overall package. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If not for the pathetic jack shaft/ multi chain OHC monstrosity Ford used on it, the OHC 4.0 would be a great engine.

Very similar power to the 5.0 with better fuel economy in a more compact package.

New, the OHC 4.0 is a great running beast, but the timing chain system simply does not have the longevity the rest of the engine and vehicle expects.

Where the 5.0 shines is in potential and reliability. Tons of options to build more power into it. The 4R70W transmission commonly found behind it is a great auto box (for a 4 speed).

If you're looking for stock levels of performance, going through the hassle of the timing chains on the 4.0 is probably the better path to take.

If you're looking for long term reliability, additional power, or just being able to say "I built that!", the 5.0 is a great path.

feel better now thank you

Thanks for the detailed response. Now I feel like the swap will be worth it. Since I'm on the budget, I can do it little by little concerning performance add ons, besides, your correct in that I will have done it myself. thanks again.

Pretty happy with mine

Were there any issues with the '97 electronics and the 5.0? If my SOHC ever starts giving me problems with the timing chains or whatever, a V8 would be very nice to have.

Yes , get a 97 for parts , I started with a 99 mountaineer and ended up trading the tranny for a 97 and tracking down all late 97 harnesses and computer , I'm currently working on the 4406 swap also , but late 97 is non PATS , external EGR , P heads , return line fuel system , but if you can find either the 96/early97 or the late 97 you will be fine .

Back