Cranks but won't start, no fuel pump sound... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cranks but won't start, no fuel pump sound...

Nick26

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' 5.0 XLT
This is for a 98 5.0 awd... I was driving along and all of a sudden it stalled and I tried to restart it and at first it was starting to start but sputtering and stalling out pretty quickly and now it just cranks. I noticed when I turn the key to the on position I do not hear the fuel pump come on, but if I hold my finger on the relay while switching the ignition on I do feel the relay click and I even switched it with the working horn relay and the horn still worked. Could the fuel pump be dead? Is there secondary relay to check? Any other electrical connections to check first? Is there a fuse for the Fuel Pump, the spot where my owners manual says it should be is empty. Also btw there is check engine codes either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like to me your fuel pump took a **** on ya,..... i cant remember but i think ours is IN-TANK but if you look and its not, turn the key on, and bang her with a wrench...works sometimes to get em in the shop :D

sounds like to me your fuel pump took a **** on ya,..... i cant remember but i think ours is IN-TANK but if you look and its not, turn the key on, and bang her with a wrench...works sometimes to get em in the shop :D

yeah I'm afraid that might be it... I'm going to crawl under there tonight and unplug it to see if it's even getting power first. I'm pretty sure ours is in-tank by the way.

yeah I'm afraid that might be it... I'm going to crawl under there tonight and unplug it to see if it's even getting power first. I'm pretty sure ours is in-tank by the way.

damn!.. well i hope you have a near empty tank... ive dropped FULL tanks to get to the pump in focuses b4 and they are heavy as crap! try to drain the tank if you can-a buddy will help with lowering :thumbsup: :D ;)

Similar situation.

Hey guys, I have the EXACT same problem.
I drove it home, went to move the truck to another spot and bam it just wouldn't start. No fuel pump sound and no pressure on the fuel rail.

I don't have the manual to the truck or any reference so I don't know which relay is the right one, nor do I know where the inertia switch is to even check that. Is there even a fuse for the fuel pump?

I guess it could be the fuel filter?

Also, to throw another curve ball in there - I have a 95 explorer...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
-Matt

Have you tried checking the fuses in the power distribution box. I had a pump and thought it went bad i switched it all around and still didnt work untill i changed that fuse... yeah money out the window but i learned something.

And I guess I need to add my name to the list I have a 91 ford exp 4.0L v6 and I have had problems with getting power to the fuel pump. I just replace my fuel pump and the relays and a fuse in the power distribution box and got it running but it wasn't running that well. Thats another task but I parked it for a while and started it every so often and the next time I go out to start it it wont fire. I listen for the fuel pump and nothing.. So i went into my rant and kicked the thing a few times and went inside. Since then i have checked the connection at the fuel pump its tight but im not sure if im getting power. Fuses are all good and relays are all good. Least the one under the power distribution box. So i bought the FORD Code Reader says its for Fords 1981-1995 I ran the test and it gave me 95 which labels, fuelpump secondary circuit fault. Now I have the chilton ford rannger/explorer/mountaineer 1991-99 book and have been trying to go through the wiring skims but i cant seem to find this.. Anyone know anywhere else to look??

Hey guys, I have the EXACT same problem.
I drove it home, went to move the truck to another spot and bam it just wouldn't start. No fuel pump sound and no pressure on the fuel rail.

I don't have the manual to the truck or any reference so I don't know which relay is the right one, nor do I know where the inertia switch is to even check that. Is there even a fuse for the fuel pump?

I guess it could be the fuel filter?

Also, to throw another curve ball in there - I have a 95 explorer...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
-Matt

fuel filter? that would have nothing to do with you not hearing that "whirring" noise when turning the key, you would also have fuel pressure. a clogged fuel filter will just give crappy performance and when you step on it-it would hesitate, buck, shudder because of the lack of flow

fuel filter? that would have nothing to do with you not hearing that "whirring" noise when turning the key, you would also have fuel pressure. a clogged fuel filter will just give crappy performance and when you step on it-it would hesitate, buck, shudder because of the lack of flow
Yea good point.
Does anybody have any pictures or diagrams of where I would locate the correct fuses or relays?
I guess I will start there.

hi i have a 1997 4.0l and it cranks but wont start. i dont hear the fuel pump, the truck was sitting for a 9 months. any help?

hi i have a 1997 4.0l and it cranks but wont start. i dont hear the fuel pump, the truck was sitting for a 9 months. any help?

sounds like the same problem I'm having but i haven't had time to troubleshoot it so its been sitting there. When I finally get back to it i'll post what the problem was, but for now you could check all your fuses and relays and if they are ok, then check to see if you are getting power to the pump, and if you are then its probably the pump.

Check enursha switch

Fuel pumps go bad after about 120 000 miles usually- no sweat to change-get the tank as empty as possible-the lines can be a bit of a hassle to separate- but there is a simple and relatively inexpensive tool available at any auto parts store for that. Don't bother fooling with the fuel filter- change the pump and be on your way...

damnnnn basically if you didnt add a fuel stabilizer and run it through the lines,filter,pump gas over time becomes like syrip. which will #### a fuel pump,lines,filter. everything could be clogged... i would start with draining all the gas in that tank,check the fuel pump relay, fuse, and inertia switch. and if all good. its your pump...
although another good thing to check would be pressure. even if you dont hear the pump when you turn the key, it could be running,-on the fuel rails in the motor, there may be a valve stem looking cap on it. that is for a fuel pressure test gauge. the best test-hold a pin or something so the valve is open and have someone turn the key. if gas squirts out your good

rule of thumb START CHEAP -fuses relays

Same sort of issue for me but once running it runs great :)

It has 100,000mi on the truck. It is has been DEAD reliable towing and driving. It is my wife's car.

Starts fine 95% of the time. Randomly(a lot when it has or is raining) it simply will not start. It turns over and simply will not fire.

Wife has now been stranded and work(school teacher so she can get ride home). Last time this happened I am thinking dead battery. No biggie. Grab a battery(optima) and head over with wife. Car fires right up on the battery in the car. Check battery date and replace with new battery just in case.

Same thing today. Just won't fire. I tell Jenny that it is a starting issue. Try starting and giving it some gas. It finally fires and 'smells like gas' she says but it is running like a champ now and it was driven home.

Where to start on this? I am a certified BMW technician and build BMW racecars so I can get in there and find it out myself but I am guessing this is something common.

Fixed my problem

Okay guys,
I asked for some basic info that I found on my own and think can help some of you out that don't have the simple information that I found extremely helpful.

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c1528018efb6

The link above you can locate some great schematics on all the fuse boxes for your model which will tell you which fuse or relay is what and where to start.
In my case I had nothing to work from, I bought the truck for a few hundred bucks and when i got it home it decided not to start... with nothing to go off of I went blind.

Also, like the rest said - start cheap, in my case it was the fuel pump relay. As well, the PCM relay will do the same thing. Once I swapped them out with a new one (10 bucks) the fuel pump primed up and the truck started right up :)

Thanks for the help guys and I hope what i've said can help some of you too.
-Matt

Mine is having the same problem. It will cut off while running. It will run and then not restart after it gets hot. Sometimes it will go weeks with no problems, sometimes it cuts off several times in a day. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pump and EEC relays. It just keeps happening. When it cuts out, a good relay wiggle or another relay switched in will bring it to life. Am I buying bad relays. Does anyone know where to buy good ones. I would love to buy the entire box in case the connections are bad. This is driving me nuts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 99 4.0 sohc it will run fine for about an hour then just boggs down and wont run. it will restart but just die again after a few seconds. any idead where i shouls start?

Back