Crank No Start

A Wise Guy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Limited Dark Cherry
Blee move it if you have to. Here is the situation. 1998 5.0 XLT. 96000 miles. New fuel filter at 95000. New fuel pump at 95200. On days that the X sits and the temp reaches the mid 80's the truck will go into a crank no start situation. It seems as if the temp is becomming a constant in the problem but may still be a coincidense. When in no start condition with turn of the key the fuel pump does activate, I do have spark at both coil packs, if I bleed the fuel rail there is fuel present. I have also swapped the fuel pump relay and the PCM? relay with relays out of my work truck. (They were handy at the time.) Usually after 20 minutes or so with the hood up and the windows down letting the heat out and trying different stuff it will start. So far it has never messed up in cooler temps. Your turn guys. Thanks in advance. I know after reading other posts I am not alone in this but what have people found that actually was the problem?

It might be the engine coolant temperature sensor, air charge temperature sensor, mass air flow sensor, or the fuel pressure regulator. Check your fuel pressure. Do you smell gas from a flooded engine?

OK, here is the update so far. The problem lies either with the chip from the pats key or the pick up ring that is supposed to be around the ignition lock cylinder. As I said before when it is hot out, 82* F or above and the truck sits all day with the windows up it goes into a crank no start problem. Now for a little history... Remote start installed last fall after the heat of the summer. Pats II receiver ring relocated to under dash with key transponder attatched to it. The reason for the relocate is because if it was left in its original location it could get confused and erase both chips. (the one in the key and the one placed in the ring for the remote start to work.) Now you are thinking if that chip is there can you use any standard key cut to fit without the Pats II chip in it.... YES. pats is bypassed. If they want to steal my truck they will, pats working or not so it doesn't bother me. (Rule of life lesson, "LOCKS ARE FOR KEEPING HONEST PEOPLE HONEST" accept the rule and go on with your life.) Or it is the ring which is going bad. Hopefully tommorow will be hot enough to find out. The transponder chip originally used was from an Ebay key, tonight I replaced it with a chip from a pats II key. Oops, forgot a valuable piece of information. When you put the key in the ignition and turn it on and your theft light blinks really fast the chip in the key is not being picked up the the receiver ring. Update to follow.

My only suggestion for testing is try using a hair dyer and blow hot air at locations that you think are heat affected..... or just wait for another hot summer day...:)

Back