Crazy Idle / Stall / Check Engine / Check Battery / Check Gauges! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crazy Idle / Stall / Check Engine / Check Battery / Check Gauges!

Rezolution

Reaction score
City, State
Nowheresville, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Ohhhh man, this is crazy...

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer 4x4. As soon as the cold weather started I have been having a very strange problem. My SUV isn't idling correctly any more. When I start it up, the lights and radio turn completely off inside the cabin, then it starts up. It goes up to about 800 RPM, then drops down to about 300 RPM, and then it continually bounces back and forth between the two about twice a second.

I also noticed that turning the air conditioning on or off can affect this problem, but doesn't make it go away. Eventually the SUV stalls out, and once that happens, I get "Check Engine", "Check Battery", and "Check Gauges".

I have no idea what is causing this. I have seen several people suggest that it's a sensor, but I think it may be something in the fuse box in the engine compartment near the firewall (that contains the fuses and relays). I hear a clicking noise near the relays and throttle body when the truck stalls out.

Also, as a side note, when I turn the AC on and off, I'm not seeing an idle change or hearing the compressor turn on. Could a stuck AC compressor or fan cause this bouncing of the idle, or is it simply an O2 sensor or something silly??!?!!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The IAC Motor is probably toast. When it acts up go under the hood and hit the IAC and see what happens. I would suggest replacing that. When you stall those gauges come on just to tell you somethings not right. It doesn't mean you have a problem in all of those things. Explain what you are doing with the AC to make it better? I would still suspect the IAC (idle air control) to be the problem because when you turn the AC on its putting a load on the engine and if your motor is stuck then it wont compensate for that. What happens when you turn your A/C off? Gets better correct?

-Drew

EDIT: on cold-start up, your vehicle is in Open-Loop and doesn't read anything from the 02 sensors yet, so thats not your problem - neither is an a/c clutch.

I am driving a 94 explorer and am having an idling problem, check engine light, and a drop of 5-7 MPG in the last two months. A friend in Wyoming said its probably the IAC, but I don't know where that is, can clean it ordo I have to replace it?

ExplorerDMB said:
The IAC Motor is probably toast. When it acts up go under the hood and hit the IAC and see what happens. I would suggest replacing that. When you stall those gauges come on just to tell you somethings not right. It doesn't mean you have a problem in all of those things. Explain what you are doing with the AC to make it better? I would still suspect the IAC (idle air control) to be the problem because when you turn the AC on its putting a load on the engine and if your motor is stuck then it wont compensate for that. What happens when you turn your A/C off? Gets better correct?

-Drew

EDIT: on cold-start up, your vehicle is in Open-Loop and doesn't read anything from the 02 sensors yet, so thats not your problem - neither is an a/c clutch.
Hi there. This is third winter I've had with my 2000 explorer xlt 4x4. Just Thursday last week, and again today (after work, not this AM), I've had this stalling out problem as well. Dropped into Ford Shop on the way home yesterday and they suggested the IAC as well. I can start the car without gas (EFI), but it will not continue to run unless I stay on the gas. I drive about 20 miles home (15 on the highway), so the engine is plenty warm by the time I'm home. The first time this happened, I was out of the car for about an hour and a half after having the problem, and when I came back out about an hour or 2 later, all was fine, no need for /brake accelerator, etc. started and idled fine. The next day everything started fine, as well. Where IS the IAC (I'm no car guy, I'm a network/pc/electronics etc., geek). Is it easy to get to/replace? Thanks!

wheres the IAC

I stopped by the sealership today and asked where the IAC was, they printed me a page from fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com
I'll find how bad the IAC is tonight or in the morninmaybe I can explain where it is after I find it

i am having the same problems with my 2001 explorer sport. i took the vehicle into my local ford dealer yesterday and just got a call back today. they said the problems were the idle control valve and leaks in the intake manifold gaskets. and wanted 656 to do the job.

IAC? won't run

I have been having problems with my idle and was told that it was more than likely the IAC on this thread, and also by a mechanic that I talked to in Wyoming. Other than the weird idle the only other thing that I had noticed was the check engine light and a decrease in gas milage, but the light has gone on and off since I got it, when it was getting 20 MPG.

Yesterday while I was driving to school it died on me at 50 MPH and I coasted to a subdivision, and had it towed to a friends nearby.
I purchased a new IAC and installed it after class tonight and when I restarted the explorer I heard a pop and then it died, It will kind of start but it sounds like there is a vacuum somewhere and it won't stay running...

Any suggestions, I have been using my dads car and need to get mine back asap :(

Check for codes. That'll start you off in the right direction.

-Drew

Back