Cruise Control Disengages Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control Disengages Transmission

jeff4912

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer 4WD
2003 Explorer XLT. Cruise Controls on steering wheel. Activate CC driving down highway, and the CC immediately kicks off, cruise light goes out, check engine light flashes and transmission goes to neutral even though selector is in drive still. Reset transmission by shifting to neutral and then to drive again.

Can't hit resume because CC powers off. Have to hit "on" button for cruise to reset only to have the same thing happen again.

Code reader turned up nothing.

Brake lights work normal.

Changed the deactivator switch on the master cylinder. Nada

Ford says "clock Spring" but is not sure, horn and airbag still work, so makes me think clock spring isn't the culprit either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine kept kicking off but it was from my break pedal sticking and not comming up the whole way. i connection on the breakpedal must have been loose or something

PCM is shot. $1426 to replace.

For $1426, I'd have to live with loosing the cruise! :eek:

I could not agree more, but the problem is that a total failure could occur leaving the car DOA.

Has other symptoms like occasionally sputtering for no reason and dying battery symptoms even though the battery is good and the terminals clean.

It is dying a slow death, the PCM that is.

BTW, thanks for your service to our country!

I could not agree more, but the problem is that a total failure could occur leaving the car DOA.

Has other symptoms like occasionally sputtering for no reason and dying battery symptoms even though the battery is good and the terminals clean.

It is dying a slow death, the PCM that is.

That stinks. Sounds like your hands are tied.

Why not a used PCM from a junkyard?

Why not a used PCM from a junkyard?

Great idea Joe. That's why I don't get paid to think.:scratch: Would a used PCM require any programming?

Turns out that the power being supplied to the PCM from the fuse panel was coming in at 27volts instead of the usual 13-14volts because of some corrosion on the fuse panel.

Cooked my PCM and the replacement PCM that Ford put in before they found the problem and replaced it with a 3rd PCM.

Turns out that the power being supplied to the PCM from the fuse panel was coming in at 27volts instead of the usual 13-14volts because of some corrosion on the fuse panel.

Cooked my PCM and the replacement PCM that Ford put in before they found the problem and replaced it with a 3rd PCM.

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it fixed. Hope it didn't bankrupt you.

Back