• Register Today It's free!

ABS light/ cruise control

georgiabuck

Reaction score
City, State
GRIFFIN, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Thanks in advance. My cruise control has been working and not working for the last couple of weeks. We were on an 8 hour trip and the first part of the trip the CC didn't work but the last 4 hours it did. When it didn't work, the little CC light in the instrument cluster would come on but shut off right away. The thing is...the ABS light comes on and off as well. When the ABS light is on....the CC won't work and the CC light in the instrument cluster won't come on at all. I don't know if this is linked together like a fuse or short or just coincidence. Any ideas of things to check would be great. Thanks again, Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the exact same problem start about 4 weeks ago on a 2003. My problems appeared right after a compelte brake job and gear lube change in both differentials. Here's a couple of ideas I read on this forum. It could be the ABS sensor on top of the rear differential, if it checks open with a ohm meter it is bad. It could be a switch on the back of the master cylinder, if you short it out and everything works, that's it. I'm not the source of this information, just repeating what I read. I plan on looking at these two items before taking it in.

Thanks for the help. It figures I'd get help from a fellow buckeye.

Well I changed the rear sensor and I still have the problem. I'm going to see if there are other abs sensors and see if I can meter them out.

I think the problem was repaired today. The wife took the explorer to the dealer and they installed a "Pressure Transducer", part number XW7Z9F924BA. The part description is Kit - Brake Repair. I can't find anything on this part. It was $25 and 1 hour labor to install, test drive and reset codes.

I haven't seen the part yet, but I think it was the switch on the master cylinder.

So it was the pressure modulator switch? I like the sound of the price you got to have it repaired. With explorers the damage is usually much greater than that. So $25 for the part, $80 to install and priceless to have cruise control back, sound about right? :)

I have to take mine in or look at it myself. Thanks for all the good info, you guys have helped me out immensely.

What is the price of the ABS sensor on the rear differental? If my ABS light isn't coming on is that even a consideration for my problem? I changed the switch on the MC and still have the problem of the CC shutting off after about a mile.

I just bought the pressure switch part# 3L3Z-9F924-AB for the 2002-2005 @ $16.60 from a Ford dealership. (alittle info for ya) My question is, since it involves the master cylinder, will I need to bleed the brakes? And, is the brake lines pressurized like my mustangs' towhere the Hayes Manual says to take it into the dealership? Thanks and hope this helps other. GO BUCKEYES!

Back