Custom gauge faces that you can make out of paper | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom gauge faces that you can make out of paper

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
While browsing the Ranger Forum earlier today, I found an interesting link. The link is instructions on how to make gauge faces at home using basic paper, and the thing is, they look real professional if you do them right!

Dead Link Removed

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hartman, thanks for the link bro. That is just a sweet idea. I put this one together in about ten minuets. What do you think, If I make one I really like I might take off my indiglo gauges.

Dead Link Removed

I'm getting a red X

Tig, looks great man. It's worth a shot, after all, it's just paper! When I first read the title to the thread I thought to myself "this outta be good, gauge faces made out of paper?", but then I saw how good they turned out, and it really surprised me. It would be even better to print them out on glossy photo paper.

My only concern would be the heat from the bulbs catching the paper on fire.

Bigtig

If you do take out your Indiglo's Bigtig then I might buy them from you...if you wanna sell and if I would be able to reuse them!

I think I may make these gauges and install them to see how good they really work. But first I need to rescan my original gauges so that I can get all the "dummy lights" on there.

espnfreak: What do you mean??

BT4auBURN: If I take the Indiglo gauges off you got first dibs.

OH, i finally remember, i'm getting red X's for the pictures, they arent showing up

cool idea

but what about fading, wrinkling and stuff like that? I'm not sure how long paper faces would look good.

Heh, Wish I knew how to use photo shop. I have it but I dont have a clue how to use it. I'm a CADD guy.

MagicMan, I really don't think you would have to worry about wrinkling since the bezel will hold the gauges down fairly well. But to fight fading, you could have the guages laminated.

for UV fading, i'd either use UV blovking clear plastic or a spray on glossy UV protection finishing spray.

I found that same page a little while ago. I emailed the creator, Rick Dupuis, and asked about the paper and the gauges he scanned. Basicly he said he used regular paper with a laser printer and he also sent me a set of scanned gauges.

Unfortunately they were some gauges i've never seen.
The gauges for the left and right side of the pod were side by side and not top and bottom like the ones I have. I am assuming those are for a ranger without a tach?

bigtigexplorer- Could I get a copy of the scan of your stock gauges?

Thanks,
Harry

I need to rescan them first. The first time I scanned them none of the dummy lights showed up. I'm going to try and rescan them this weekend, time permitting.

hey that would be great if you can put a link to download your scanned image so that some of us people who don't have a whole lot of spare time can fiddle around with it on the computer before they actually go pull there whole car apart. please do post if you don't mind.

thanx

I also need to warn you guys that these pictures are huge. You'll be look at a 7-8 megabyte download for the 3 pictures.

layers??

Can someone please post in more detail how you seperate the scanned image and have the background on one layer and the numbers on the other layer???

also, which paper do you think is best to use??

one more thing.....if someone could please post their original scanned picture so that others can use it and fiddle around with until they found what they like and then go take there X apart. I would rather get a good looking dash on my computer before I have to take anything else apart.

thanx for all the help

Man that looks frigging awesome. The sunset in a Splash is a great idea. Instead of glueing down both skins couldn't you just put the picture you like on top of the original gauge faces and the original color would show through at night when the lights are on?

Well guy/gals here are the first of the "paper gauges". So far I'm pretty happy with the way they came out, but the real test will be when the sun goes down.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wondering if anybody would notice my leak. Here is a pick at night, they are a little blury, but you can get an idea of how they look:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Back