Cutting exhaust after muffler? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cutting exhaust after muffler?

I also just added a cone filter too. it way deeper then before. fumes are of no issue

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run an open Y pipe, so it's dumped under the passenger seat. It's loud, and smelly, and I like it. The fumes make me happy.

Cut out off after muffler and turn down.

Ive had my ex done like this for 3 years now and no smell no nothin..

Carbon monoxide CO is an odorless colorless gas. Frequently the only sympton of carbon monoxide is imediate death. Smokem if you got um boys.

Ok

Like I said, I’ve had mine done for three years now. What does it only come up on certain years or on special occasions? Oh wait I know what it is im superman. ;)

I bought the flowmaster exhaust system about a year ago for my 92 and it sounded good and what not, and then about three months ago I was bord one day so I sectioned out about a foot of pipe after the cat. Then I welded that back together thus moving the muffler forwards a foot and put on a 2 1/2 inch turn down right after the muffler. I never thought anything about the fumes which I should of in the first place but the is no smell inside the truck. The mod did free up some ponies and with a large K and N cone filter its loud and obnoxius but I like it.

As said above, CO has no smell, no oder, but prolonged inhaltion of CO can cause Hartmanism,this may not be life threating but is a known medical condition that can lead to aberhant behavior in young males:)

I had this done on an old monte carlo. I couldn't stand the smell. My car was also lowered so that might make the difference. The gases got trapped under the car at a stop. Maybe a lifted truck wont be so bad. and yes co2 is odorless.

Lets put it this way..

All right lets put it this way. You could get poisoning from a truck with exhaust cut like that. And you could get poisoning from a truck with regular exhaust and the back window open .And you could get sun cancer from sitting in the sun. You could get a lot of **** from a lot of stuff. Lets just leave it at that all I was saying is this guy is so sure that your gonna die and so sure that no one can have their exhaust like that..I don’t know why. Maybe we should all just run exhaust out the back of our trucks 6 feet longer than the truck so we can all sleep better at night.. :roll:

I just barely got the hartmanism bit. ;)

jesus, are we *****ing about who's ****** hurts more or was this thread about a guy wanting to know the benefits/drawbacks of cutting his exhaust after the muffler? and with modern engines (post 1930's) you dont want much backpressure and most backpressure is in the manifolds anyways.

Cut away my friend, cut away.

Holy crap did someone need to vent.

You have a ****** and it hurts? :rolleyes: It seems to me that your the only one that has cut something.

Hey guys here's the deal. I am a physics geek in college and can tell you this--although it is pre the physics department. If you are not moving at all and there is no wind, a side exhaust would indeed be more dangerous. But afterall these conditions are impossible so it really doesn't matter unless you have some kind of intentional exhaust kill-myself hose running inside your car. if sitting idle having the rear hatch open would indeed suck the fumes in. I have a PT cruiser and have rear exhaust that with the hatch open will fill the cabin fast at idle. Everyone that posted is indeed correct, it just depends on the playing field; math and physics, or real world.

OK I am removing the environmental engineers hat an putting on the civil engineers hat. Cutting the exhaust pipe after the muffler will result in very little or no increased air flow or horsepower, unless you have one of the cheapa$$ aftermarket exhaust pipes with the ridges. With a mandrel bent exhaust pipe the head loss from a couple of smooth bends and 4-feet of pipe. Head loss is the pressure lost to make a fluid flow through a certain boundry condition. The head loss in a exhaust system is through the exhaust manifold, catalitic converter and the muffler.

If you think I am wrong put it on a dyno and prove me wrong. Cutting you exhaust pipe after the muffler will not noticably increase horsepower. It will make it lowder in the passenger compartment. Hey, if you want noise don't be so cheap, go buy a Flowmaster 40 series muffler.

unclemeat said:
If you think I am wrong put it on a dyno and prove me wrong. Cutting you exhaust pipe after the muffler will not noticably increase horsepower. It will make it lowder in the passenger compartment. Hey, if you want noise don't be so cheap, go buy a Flowmaster 40 series muffler.

You are indeed correct.

If you have air flow or are driving down the road, it would take days to kill you.

BeauJ said:
If you have air flow or are driving down the road, it would take days to kill you.
I reality, todays cars emit so little CO, using that method to off yourself as was done in the past is very difficult.
Just what I was told, CO is still very bad ****

i guess in michigan your exhaust is suppost to exit 12" behind the driver compartment. i was thinking about doing this on my X but some of the holes that i go though while off roading are deep. so i would be afraid of the exhuast being under water and stalling out the X.

hey guys
it will have generally no performance advantage if cut after the muffler, unless there are bird nests in your exhaust. Just agreeing and establishing the point.

I just did it for the sound improvment. it does sound alot better in combo with my intake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on my 92 i had a thrush turbo dumped and it sounded decent, nice low tone, I got pulled over for it because i didn't have the rear tailpipe, i told the cop that i had a muffler on there, when he said that the rear exhaust pipe was missing i said well yeah i don't have that on there he said any modifications to the stock exhaust which affects the sound of it (meaning louder) is illegal.

so 2 days later i tore that thrush off (cause the outlet was bent up, being used from a friend) put on a tractor muffler and the stock tailpipe with the resonator. still sounds mean but its legal now.

Back